The Story

Sedrik

I glanced at the mirror hanging in our wall as I ran my hands through my hair. I made a half smile while looking at the clothes I wore, and realizing how different I am from those college boys at my age in this generation. I wear an old checkered polo, loose faded pants, and the old black converse shoes that I inherited from my favorite uncle. 

This is how I look, and basically, this is my best look so far. I was really a plain looking guy, my friends always told me that I am an off-fashion, and that is okay with me, what matter is, they accept who I really am.

"Sedrik, tuck your shirt in," I heard my father's voice as I feel that he is coming closer to me. I eventually smell the alcohol he is drinking for the whole day. I could say that the smell of the rum is his permanent perfume because it lives in his skin and when he speaks; your nose will effortlessly sniff it out.

I just nod at him, well he is right. My polo is too large for me and it will suit me very well if I tuck it with my pants. "Use my belt," he handed me his belt. I looked at his hand for a while, it was once in a blue moon moment for my father to have a care for me.

"Thank you, Dad," I wear the belt he gave me and I can't help myself from smiling while fixing my clothes on. He just nodded at me and I think he took his way to the couch and laid his back on it. Just like what drunk people do after consuming the whole bottle of rum.

I wear my old watch as I look at my tired pulse; I could forget everything but never my favorite wrist mask.

The changing colors of the party lights have blinded my eye. The whole ground is lights off and the colors red, blue and green are the only lights in the party. My knees are difficult to bend because of the nervousness that I am feeling. This is the welcome party for freshmen in our university and here I am, standing alone. The venue is very crowded, I can't see who's performing in the stage because of the huge number of people.

I bumped into a group of men; they were all looked city boys because of the clothes they are wearing, and the aura they are bringing.

"Be careful, we are the dudes you don't wanna mess up with," the guy at the front arrogantly told me, and pushed me too strong to make me sit on the floor. I heard their laughs as they pass towards me. I was left seated on the floor, helpless and loser. I just realize how weak I am to be pushed that simple.

I got no choice but to stand up, I clapped my hands to remove all the dust from the floor. Life is not like the book you have read, no one will lend you a hand to help you stand. It was only you and yourself. I just walk again but I made sure that I will never bump again into someone.

A cold hand touches my palm, and it made me stop from walking. I clenched my jaw and gulp. It is an unexplainable feeling because it sent shivers down my spine as the hold got tighter. I looked at the hands and look up to a girl. She is wearing a denim jacket with a black dress under it. I found her eyes looking intently at me. And I can't find my tongue for me to begin speaking. She pursed her lips and smile so sweetly at me.

"Come with me," her voice captures my ears because despite of the noises of the crowd, the every word she utters were clearly heard by my ears. She hold my hands by her cold palm, she intertwined it and walks straight. I was pulled by her hold, and I felt that I am with my compass.

"We are in the right spot, can't you see this? We are almost close to Rivermaya!" She lively said. The happiness in her voice is something my mind can't imagine.

"Miss, do you know me?" Finally I found my voice to speak out. I look at her sideways, her nose was perfectly narrowed, and her lashes were long and curvy, which is something that could catch your attention. I saw how her eyes twinkled as she watches the band.