School Reunion

The Apocalypse readjusted her messy bun - she really hated when she didn't have her hair in those braids - and double checked her heels - ditto - before she walked into her physics classroom. "Good morning, class!" she greeted with a smile, setting down her case. "Are we sitting comfortably?" She didn't wait for an answer. Instead, she turned and began writing on the board. "So, physics," she said with a smile. "God, I love physics! Physics, physics, physics!" She peered over her shoulder. "I hope at least one of you will be writing all of this down," she warned before she clapped her hands. "OK! Since I've taken over recently, let's see what you all know. Two identical strips of nylon are charged with static electricity and hung from a string so they can swing freely. What would happen if they were brought near each other?" She watched as one person raised a hand to answer: a boy with spectacles. "Yes, er . . . what's your name?"

"Milo," he answered.

The Apocalypse nodded. "Milo! Off you go."

"They'd repel each other because they have the same charge."

"Correctamundo!" the Apocalypse cheered before making a face. "Yuck. That's a word I have never used before, and hopefully never will again. Question two: I coil up a thin piece of microwire and place it in a glass of water. Then I turn on the electricity and measure to see if the water's temperature is affected. My question is this: how do I measure the electrical power going into the coil?" She blinked when only one person put his hand up. "Someone else?" she offered, but no one did. "No? OK, Milo. Go for it."

"Measure the current and PDs in an ammeter and a voltmeter."

"Two to Milo," the Apocalypse said in surprise, then leaned forward. "Right, then, Milo. Tell me this. True or false: the greater the dampening of the system, the quicker it loses energy to its surroundings."

"False."

She sped up. "What is noncoding DNA?"

"DNA that doesn't code for a protein."

"Sixty five thousand nine hundred and eighty three times five?"

"Three hundred and twenty nine thousand nine hundred and fifteen."

"How do you travel faster than light?"

"By opening a quantum tunnel with an FTL factor of thirty six point seven recurring."

The Apocalypse's jaw dropped. Dayyum . . .

***

The Apocalypse later went through the lunch line, scratching the back of her neck. She smirked when she saw mash slopped onto her tray, a familiar bracelet glittering on the server's wrist. She winked at Rose as the girl glared at her, before sniggering and heading to a table. After every kid went through the line, Rose walked over with a rag. "Two days," she said.

"Sorry, could you just?" the Apocalypse asked with a grin, pointing. "There's a bit of gravy." She grinned wider when Rose wiped halfheartedly. "No, no. Just, just there."

"Two days we've been here," Rose repeated.

"Blame Ricky," the Apocalypse told her. "He's the one who put us onto this. But he was right. Boy in class this morning, got a knowledge way beyond planet Earth."

"You eating those chips?"

The Apocalypse eyed them. "Yeah. They're a bit different."

"I think they're gorgeous," Rose sighed, sitting down to eat some of them. "Wish I had school dinners like this."

"It's very well behaved, this place," the Apocalypse remarked.

"Mmm," Rose agreed.

"It's interesting, though. But believe me, I want to get out of here, too."