𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. the blood in the water

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 - the blood in the water

━━━━━━━

𝐀 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐔𝐃.

It could have been the rain; the harsh droplets were hammering down and slicing their way through the cold and bitter air of the night.

It could have been the rain, but it wasn't.

The small and weak thud that had just barely made itself known was the sound of a heart trying desperately to continue beating behind the fractured cage that held it.

With each sloppy beat, a body twitched. With each pathetic thud, pain erupted like a volcano and spread like a virus, coating the woman's veins.

The tiny breaths that escaped the body were hoarse and hurt their dry throat; small chokes and splutters forced their way out of split and bloodied lips.

Her eyes slowly cracked open and focused on the night sky above her. Pain and confusion were all she could feel.

As hard as she tried, she couldn't lift her head without an agonizing amount of pain erupting in her lower back; something was broken, severely.

With a small, hoarse huff their head lolled to the side. Chilling raindrops smacked at her face and blurred their eyes for a moment before finally, a face came into view.

Like a freight train, everything hit her at once.

The fight against the Hand and Elektra. Danny was safe, Jessica Jones was safe, and Luke Cage was safe. They had saved New York.

How did she get out... and more importantly; why was she alive? If the pain in her back was anything to go by, she should have been crushed and dead.

And yet here she was, alive and breathing. She wasn't okay by any means; her spine was almost certainly crushed by the rocks that were still embedded within her flesh, her ribs were shattered, her arm was broken and her vision refused to focus.

As the sight in front of her slowly became clearer, her breath hitched. Matthew laid there, almost entirely unmoving. She had to focus in order to hear the faintest thump of his heart and her senses were invaded by the smell of murky water and metallic blood that was rolling off of him in waves.

She wanted to move and force herself up, get the man somewhere that could help him. But she couldn't. She was utterly helpless and exhausted.