𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. the pills and liquor

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 - the pills and liquor

━━━━━━━

"𝐖𝐇𝐘'𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐊𝐄𝐄𝐏 the necklace?" Matt had asked Olivia the moment Sister Maggie had left the room and returned upstairs. He had been curious; he knew that Olivia wasn't religious in any way and didn't have a reason to keep the cross for herself.

The two were sat opposite each other on their respective beds which creaked and groaned with every movement.

Olivia hummed as she turned the cross over in her fingers, examining each dent and scrape on the object; it was old, that much she could tell. "Why do you care?"

"I don't. Just curious."

"I don't think I'll ever be a religious person, but I've always wanted... craved forgiveness for all of the awful things that I've done."

She wasn't lying, in fact, she was telling the truth; she had always needed the acceptance and forgiveness for the monstrous things she had done in her past and never believed people when they said the things she'd done didn't matter. Though, she primarily kept the cross for Matthew's sake.

"You've mentioned things like that before, your anger, your past, but you've never explained it."

"Like you said, I'm not an open book. You might run around in the middle of the night and beat people up but..." She paused as a heavy sigh left her and she put the cross back on the white covers of the bed. "I've done horrible things, Matt."

Matthew picked at his fingers, the cuts that had scabbed over being reopened, and yet he still couldn't smell the usual metallic twang that came with the crimson liquid. "Will you ever tell me?"

Her eyes drifted down to his hands, seeing the small smudges of red that were painted across them. Her heartbeat grew faster at the thought of telling yet another person about the blood that stained her own hands, about the ghosts that followed her every move. Oddly enough, over the past month that she had sat by his bedside making sure that his breathing never stopped, her care for him had grown and though they hadn't known each other long, she trusted him. "Let's get used to our new surroundings first shall we?"

"You're evading."

The wolf scoffed as she rose to her feet and made her way over to the sink on the opposite side of the room, turning on the tap and splashing her face with water that dribbled down her neck, soaking her shirt. "And you're prying." She shut the water off and grabbed a small, clean towel from one of the shelves to dry herself and placed it on the side of the sink. "I trust you, oddly enough. But there are just some things that need to stay buried."