Answers

Love at Divergent High

Chapter 13: Answers

“Well…” He cuts himself off and we sit there, waiting for him to tell us what’s wrong.

“Caleb, you can tell us anything, you know that?” My father says.

“How do you know something’s wrong anyway?” Caleb asks.

“The morning that everyone came round and Marlene and Uriah told everyone about the baby I saw you and Susan walking to your car, looking nervous about something. Since then you have been nervous and scared about something, I haven’t seen Susan around and you are hardly ever home.” I say.

“Fine, there is something going on. You all know how Susan and I have been dating; well we have known each other for years, Beatrice, you know that. We were ready to take the next step in our relationship, so we did, not thinking about the consequences of doing it. We were… are nervous because Susan is pregnant. I’m going to be a father. You’re going to be an auntie, Tris. And you’re going to be grandparents.” He says looking at our parents as he says that last line.

I’m shocked. I’m going to be an aunt. My brother is going to have a baby. The brother that told me off for sleeping with Tobias is having a baby. “How far along is Susan?” I ask.

“She’s the same gestation as Marlene; she even has the same due date.” Caleb answers. “The reason I haven’t been at home much is because I have been going to check on her, and I take her to her appointments and everything. She doesn’t leave the house much because she doesn’t want people looking at her like she is a slut or something for being a pregnant sixteen-year-old.” Caleb says.

I look around the room to find everyone with looks of shock on their faces. My parents look the most shocked out of everyone, to be honest, they probably expected this out of me, not him. He was always the most intelligent one, the person who always thought before he did things. But now he has got someone pregnant and they are both teenagers. They expected me to become the pregnant teenager, not him to be a teenager and get another teenager pregnant. Fair enough my parents were teenagers when they had us, but they were eighteen and nineteen not seventeen and sixteen.

“Caleb, why didn’t you tell us? We could have helped you.” My mum says.

“Because we’re scared, nervous. We’re going to be parents. We’re teenagers. We’re scared.” Caleb says.

“Yeah, we still could have helped you through this. We love you Caleb.” My dad says.

“I know. We just didn’t know how to tell anyone. I’m going to go and check on her now. You guys can continue with the game now.” Caleb says before standing up and leaving the house. 

“Well, I certainly didn’t expect that.” Zeke says.

“I don’t think any of us did.” I say. I’m going to be an auntie. That is all that is going through my head as we continue with the game.

Hey guys. Thanks for reading. Please review.