Ch.09 ↬ J

I was a glutton for punishment, like I've already claimed.

I was also a sucker for Madeline's smile. I'd surrender everything to be on the receiving end of one of her smiles, so don't even fucking get me started on her laugh. And because of those reasons, I found myself donning a charcoal grey suit and strutting across the road to the community hall Monday morning.

Just in time for the scarring mothers' class.

My mantra I kept chorusing to myself was that there was no way they could top last week's class in terms of grossing me the fuck out. And the topic of the class seemed the furthest from my mind as I slipped my phone back into my pocket after checking the time—I was early—and stepping through the front door, holding it open for the terrifyingly-heavily pregnant woman behind me.

As she uttered her gratitude, my gaze latched onto Madeline as she loitered at the edge of the room where we'd been situated last week. Her attire was as characteristic as it was alluring. While her jeans were skinny and form-fitting, her shirt was baggy and only the curves of her breasts were visible to view. The question of what she was concealing underneath her baggy shirts had plagued me incessantly, even on date night with my right hand.

Of course, the fantasy features sections of her hair in braids that I could tug on... wrap my hands around.

And maybe because I knew on Friday night I'd possibly get a better viewing of the curves her body possessed with the dress I'd witnessed her donning as she crossed the hallway between our apartments before descending the stairs, I jumped at the chance to pick her up after her night out with Raegan. The fleeting moment I stole to check her out wasn't enough. I needed more. I was hungry to eat up more of the delectable sight of Madeline in that little fucking dress.

Jesus fucking Christ and all things holy.

I'd known this girl for what, three weeks? What the fuck was she doing to me?

She seemed to have registered someone had been gawping at her, because she turned her head and her gaze immediately found mine. Her face broke out into a wide, shit-eating grin and I stepped closer to her. And it was that grin and the entire way her face lit up why I had decided to endure an hour-long lecture on something potentially formidable.

Just to see that reaction for a second or two.

"I didn't expect to see you here again after last time," Madeline said.

Well, I guess that makes two of us.

"I figured it can't be any worse than last week."

She opened her mouth to say something but cut herself off before she could. In lieu of uttering anything, she glanced at the group of petrifying pregnant women in front of us, but they disfigured the large board from view. When she turned back to me, she was unable to disguise her grin.

"So even the pregnant women couldn't keep you away?" she asked.

"Correct."

Even they couldn't keep me from you.

"I feel honoured." It seemed a sudden idea struck her in that moment because she seemed to electrify. Before I could quiz her on her abrupt electricity shock, she gestured to the seats that had been stacked behind her. "They'll be starting the class soon."

Akin to last time, I extracted two chairs from the stacks after slipping my suit jacket off. When I turned to Madeline, I felt the smirk twitch at my lips when I'd caught her gawping so openly at my body. For her sake, I pretended to not have noticed and we collapsed gracefully into the chairs just as the pregnant women were doing the same.