Chapter 10 : A Bloody Meal

This is Keaton's story. I wrote it in Third person. Trigger warnings for Graphic Violence

Keaton rode a sleek, small black Motorcycle down one of the congested main streets of downtown Avalon. The weather in the beach side metropolis was it's usual morning gray chill. The sky in fall always seemed like it was threatening to rain. Under the privacy visor of the plain back biker's helmet he was ever vigil of the cars around him. Keaton had dressed in a white sweatshirt with jagged black stripes across the chest with a hood and black jeans with a rip over a knee from a previous fall. As he made his way through the morning flow of traffic, he was ever aware of how insane drivers were. Despite his driving he was careful to never get to close to anyone. Signals or not, Avalon drivers were prone to rash decisions.

As a courier for the Wolf Corporation, one of the many peer to peer mail systems set up by people who no longer had faith in the postal system it was his job to deliver whatever was assigned to him. The customers who use peer mailing systems quickly realized the unregulated mode of post could be used to send things they didn't want anyone to know so the jobs began to have an illegal aspect to it. Because of this Couriers generally were looked down on by modern society. The news painted them as criminals across social media. So the world saw them this way. Couriers like Keaton had no qualms with this as they were paid handsomely for their services. With everything, this simple give and take system gave birth to "Hawks". Hawks are couriers hired by individuals to steal packages or mail and deliver it to a different source. They used any means necessary to accomplish this. Keaton was mindful of them as well as he put his left arm out to signal he needed to make the turn and a expensive black BMW slowed down to allow him to do so.

Heading north toward Saint St. Keaton felt his left hip vibrate. His smartphone rang again and again but he ignored it as he went past a few corporate office buildings and found the building he was to deliver too. It was a sprawling emerald green tower with the name Ergo on the doors in small black letters. It's outward appearance was that of the same emerald green windows from the ground to the top with no large sign identifying it. Keaton had never heard of the name, and as with other jobs did not make a point to care what it was they did after he was gone. He checked his side bag, a leather bag with metal zippers reinforced to reduce the risk of accidents and went on inside.

Dora Happenstance, sat at the reception desk of the building. Her honey blond hair was cut short in a pageboy hairstyle that drew attention to her ocean blue eyes. She smiled automatically as the doors opened, but her eyes widened a bit. A secretary for two years, her eyes instantly went to the tall, built Asian boy who entered as he removed his helmet. He shook his head and the dark bangs settled above those thick eyebrows. She a young twenty something in a egg shell white blouse and pencil skirt sat up a little straighter as he looked at her. He had a round boyish face with a large curved nose and full lips. She liked the look of him and put on her best smile as he approached.

"Welcome to Ergo, may I grab you a coffee or something sweeter," Dora said cheerfully and stood to greet him. Keaton nodded in greeting but waved a hand at the offer. He opened the bag and pulled out three thumb sticks and a sealed letter.

"Thanks, but I'm just dropping these off." He said with another nod and handed them to her before pulling out his smartphone. He looked at the missed call from his roommate Tomo before unlocking it and going to the app for Wolf. He handed it to her and she signed her name and he turned to go. Dora was confused, to many she was attractive. Her body taut from hours in the gym everyday, her skin tanned and lovely but this was her first encounter with the courier and nothing.

"Tomo...this better be life or death. I'm working," Keaton said into the phone via Bluetooth headphones while sitting on his motocycle.

"When aren't you working, I just wanted to know if you were coming home tonight or sleeping on a roof?" Came the French Canadian accent of his only friend and roommate.