Chapter 3: Family Drama

Soon, Katie and Cara left for home. When they got there, they had a surprising guest at the house: Cara's Mom! Cara's Dad and Mom got a divorce and Katie and Emma's Dad passed away when they were all kids. Soon enough, Cara's Dad married Katie and Emma's Mom.

"What is she doing here?!" asked Cara in alarm. "Your Mother came to get you. She is taking you to her house this weekend." replied Steven. "Oh yeah, the once a month thing..." said Cara. "Go pack, and bring your swimsuit." reminded Cara's Mom, Clair.

Cara left the room. Today would be the first time that Jenna would meet the ex-wife of her husband... awkward! Clair, who lives two hours away, and Steven would meet up to trade Cara off. "So Jenna, this is Clair. Clair this is Jenna, my ex-wife." said Steven. "Hi, nice to meet you." said Jenna through a strained smile. "The pleasure is all mine!" replied Clair through the same phony smile.

Soon Cara was back and reluctantly ready to leave. "Cara, come here for a minute." said Emma. "Take this." said Emma, handing her a walkie-talkie. "It has a range of one-hundred square miles. Always be on channel thirteen." finished Emma. "Ok bye!" said Cara.

Cara left with her Mom. She was very, very mad that she had to leave. The girls were so relieved that the school's dance was next weekend. They already had their dresses. They were so excited.

They have been to a dance before but Katie was extra excited that she had a boyfriend to go with her. She had only ever gone with her friends except her first dance. They had a great time together.

Later that day, someone knocked on the front door. Knock knock knock. Jenna went to answer it. The person standing at the door was Myia. "Myia? It has been too, too long! Come in, come in!" said Jenna. "Thank you so much! I would like to talk to everyone. The other day I told Katie I had some news but had to leave before I could tell her." explained Myia. "Yes of course I'll get everyone." replied Jenna.

Just as she had said, Jenna brought everyone into the living room. They all greeted Myia with hugs. "Okay so last week, I got an early college acceptance letter for Boston University in Massachusetts!" said Myia. "No way!" squealed an excited Katie.

Everyone was so happy for Myia. Soon she had to leave and everyone had dispersed throughout the house once more. Katie, with the thought of losing touch with her friend, was happy and also not happy. Emma on the other hand could sense that drama was likely to brew.

Later that day, Brandon came over to talk to Katie and Emma. He was shocked with what happened with Cara. Katie and Emma were glad that Cara hasn't used the walkie-talkie. They decided to check in.

"Cara? Come in, over." said Katie into the walkie-talkie. "Hey! What's up guys, over?!" replied Cara. "The sky, over!" said Katie sarcastically. "Okay smarty-pants, over!" said Cara cheerfully. "Just checking in. Brandon stopped over so we could talk about our plan for work tomorrow, over." said Katie. "I'll be there by-the-way, over!" replied Cara. "Oh, sorry! I have to go... bye and over!" said Cara.

They didn't hear from Cara the next few hours. Then there was a knock at the door. Knock knock knock. Katie answered the door. "Cara! Your home!" said Emma, running to her. Cara turned out to have had a great time. Katie told Cara about Myia's opportunity to go to college early. Cara was also happy but sad like Katie. Myia was there for Katie and Emma when Cara joined the family.

628 words