Chapter 9: Unbelievable!

Brandon saw the whole thing and was furious! He stormed over to the car and ripped open the passenger door. "Yo, get away from my girlfriend!" he yelled at Corey. "I'm just trying to comfort her unlike you!" said Corey. "I- I was too busy being congratulated to-" "To what? To busy to comfort someone you care about?"

Brandon scoffed. Then, he forcefully pulled Corey out of the car and started to punch and kick him. Then Brandon felt a sharp pain across his face. Katie had slapped him. She went behind an unconscious Corey and pulled him away from Brandon.

She sat down on the ground and pulled him into her arms. She checked his pulse, praying he'd be ok. He had one, but it was very weak! She was sobbing, cursing at Brandon, and yelling for help.

Brandon ran off and out of sight. Someone finally came along and called an ambulance like Katie had pleaded. Everyone was still in the school while Katie was sitting alone with an unconscious friend in her arms... She was furious and terrified. The ambulance pulled into view. The sirens were so loud that people came pouring out of the school to see what happened.

Emma was the first person out. She saw Corey and a very distraught Katie and ran over. The paramedics lifted Corey onto the stretcher and asked Katie if she was going with them. She just nodded. "Emma, I'll text you when we get there. I'll explain later."

Katie gets in and sits on the bench and holds Corey's hand. "Ma'am, since you were with the victim here, did you see what happened?" asked one of the paramedics. "I was really upset and went out to my car. Corey here, followed me and comforted me. My boyfriend saw and got mad. He beat him unconscious and ran off." said Katie as put together as she could.

Then, Corey's eyes fluttered open. The paramedic's back was to him and Katie. Katie noticed him panicking and she gasped. The paramedic turned back around. "Corey?! Your ok! Stay with me, ok?" He nodded. His eyes were closing but kept opening- he was trying hard to stay awake. They arrived at the hospital a few minutes later.

Katie got out first and opened the Emergency Room doors for them. Katie tried to follow them. "Ma'am, are you related to him?" "I-I- no but-" "Then you can't come with us." "She- she's coming with me." muttered Corey. "But sir-" "She's coming with me." Katie followed them to a room.

They put him on the bed and told them the doctor would be there shortly. They left and shut the door, leaving Corey and Katie alone. Katie sat in a chair next to Corey and texted Emma. Emma said she, Brayden and Cara are on their way.

She moved the hair away from his face. "How are you feeling?" "My head is pounding." "Do you remember what happened?" "I remember seeing you crying so I went out to your car and and sat there hugging you. Then I was pulled out of the car and... that's it." "Yeah... you got that right."

Katie put her hand on his right shoulder. He inhaled sharply. "I'm sorry! Brandon must have dislocated your shoulder when he yanked you out of the car!" "It's ok Katie. You didn't know." Katie held his hand, hot tears still burning her eyes.

Then, the doctor comes in with a few other people. Katie realizes that it's Emma, Brayden, Cara, and... BRANDON?? Katie stayed where she was, still holding Corey's hand. Corey felt her tense up so he gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

She stood up. "WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?!" yelled Katie at the top of her lungs. "Baby, are you ok?" he asked, walking toward her with his arms out. She let go and moved past him to the other side of the bed and grabbed Corey's hand again, making sure Brandon saw.

"No, I'm not ok. You beat up and nearly bloody murdered someone I care about because he was trying to help me when all you care about is your life and your future and you couldn't check on someone that you supposedly 'love' and care about!"