Chapter 10 - She Is Brave

•●•●•●•

Winter was coming, and I was glad. The sun still shone with abandon, but it lacked its usual fierceness. It rose later than usual, and set earlier. Sometimes the sun disappeared altogether, behind thin, wispy clouds that provided much-needed relief and shade.

I had recently finished my project - it had taken longer than anticipated and I was anxious to return to my stall.

"What do you think, then?"

The new awning was so large, that when I tried hanging it in the house, it barely fit along the length of the wall. Of fine purple cotton, the material fluttered gently from the slight breeze that blew through the windows. There was a delicate fringing of gold at the edges, and the golden embroidery was the shape of my signature design- hundreds of the tiny desert flowers I had seen on my escapade in the sandstone labyrinth. It was far too lovely for a single awning, and if I was in the position to, I could have sold it for a lot of money. The late morning light shone brightly, highlighting the expensive gold embroidery and making it look even more impressive and thoroughly over-the-top than it already was.

Grandmother raised her eyebrows, clearly impressed, taking in every detail of the huge sheet that spread across the room, blocking the door. "If this does not attract custom the people of Harmindon must really be blind, or at least ignorant. This is exactly what I was thinking of - a large display of your ability that will be impossible to ignore." I grinned, and began to take it down, though inside I was dancing about with excitement.

"Jeddah, Jeddah! Come quickly!" I heard my sister's high, excited cries before I saw her, and tried to call out a warning, but it was too late.

She flung the door open quite suddenly. I had used rope to tie the awning in the place of tacks, which I feared would tear the precious material. The flimsy knots loosened with ease at the sudden pull from the door - I should never have hung it up in front of the door - and it fluttered gently to the floor and covered my Miarka from from head to toe. She squeaked in surprise, momentarily forgetting her hurry. I burst out laughing, and even Grandmother hid a smile. Miarka wriggled free, ignoring my helpless giggles, and remembered her errand.

"You must look at this, Jeddah! You will never, ever, ever believe what I have just seen!" she took me by the wrist and tugged me out the door impatiently, leaving Grandmother standing, bemused, with a pile of purple fabric at her feet.

I was still laughing internally at the sight of her covered from head to toe in my brand new awning - the sight had been so funny I was not even annoyed that it was probably covered in dust from its sudden fall - when we rounded the corner of the little alleyway that we often used as a short cut to the marketplace. I saw at once what Miarka wanted to show me, as did everyone else. My laughter froze on my lips.

"It cannot be...."

"Jeddah! Have you heard the news?" This was Thekla, scurrying up and pointing unsubtly. "Of course you haven't, stuck inside that workshop of yours all day, every day. Why, I was even there when she arrived.... with Chieftain and his son and a handful of Gondorian soldiers.... they are to be married, can you believe that? You should really get out more! It was so different from her first arrival - she was all smiles and excitement, hanging onto Sufyan's every word - she is still so beautiful! How I wish -"

I cut short Thekla's tirade by hurriedly putting my hand over her mouth. "Will you be quiet! She might hear you!"

"That is what you want, is it not?" Thekla asked quizzically, frowning. "Why would I want that?! You are making a scene!" I hissed, without taking my eyes off the princess.