Chapter 15 - The Storm

•●•●•●•

Thekla's wedding took place in the middle of the summer, which - and I kept this strictly to myself, but I had a sneaking suspicion others thought the same - was rather a mistake, because I feared it would be much too hot, and all the guests would have to wear headwraps and shawls to protect themselves from the sun - Haradrim weddings are generally outdoors as a rule. But she'd taken all these factors into account, and scheduled the wedding to take place in the early morning, next to the river, so that it would be cool and breezy, and that she and her husband, Pesah, could leave for their new home in Kazabhâd the very same day.

The air around Na'Man ab Jubayr was always generally cooler that in the harsh, stone city, even in the afternoon, and I was rather looking forward to the day as I made my way to Thekla's old house the morning of mid-July. A gaggle of older sisters greeted me at the door - we had vaguely known each other all our lives, as whenever I was at Thekla's house as a child there would have invariably been at least one of them hanging about, and I was known as their little sister's friend. 

"Good morning, beautiful!" I smiled, on my best behaviour for once as Thekla hugged me in greeting. "Grandmother and Miarka will come later for the ceremony, but I am here on important business - delivering this beauty." I took the corners of the bridal shawl in my hands, and shook it out dramatically.

I'd made the shawl of the most expensive, light cashmere I could lay my hands on. It was imported from far-off Lebennin in Gondor, dyed a pretty light shade of blue, and I'd used white silk for the edging and embroidery. It wasn't nearly as detailed as the shawl I'd fixed up for Lady Túrien, but Thekla preferred simplicity, and it suited her too. Her dress was blue too - a much darker shade of the shawl, yet matching it perfectly. There was black jet beading all around the neck and hem, and the skirt was more voluminous than I'd ever seen my friend wear. A simple rope of the same jet beading was carefully wound into her hair, and it was my job to weave the shawl through the beading and arrange it around her arms and shoulders.

"Stay still, please!" I begged for the third time, as Thekla shifted in her seat yet again to try and catch a glimpse of herself in the small looking glass fastened to the wall. It would have been rather dusty at this time of the year, not reflecting very well, but it had been polished to perfection for the occasion.

The room, which Thekla had once shared with her sisters, was completely bare apart from the looking glass. Since the death of her mother, Thekla had been all alone. Some of the furniture had been given away or sold to prepare for Thekla and Pesah's future, but most of it was carefully stacked on the cart that already waited at the city rim, pulled by one of the tall carthorses that usually carried all kinds of material from Gondor to the various cities of Near Harad. It was a slightly depressing sight, the empty room, but I knew it would not stay empty for long - there were always new couples wanting a place of their own in Harmindon. 

While I helped Thekla into her new shoes, blue satin slippers that seemed the most frivolous things compared to what most people wore on an everyday basis but were perfect for a wedding, she chattered away while I stayed silent, listening, as was per usual.

"Jeddah, Pesah told me all about our new home. He's been there already, you know, and he described it to me - it's the most beautiful little house, and it's not nearly such a desert as it is here - it's all grassy, even though it's so hot, and there are sparse forests here and there. It's a wide, open plain, and the sea is only a day's journey away - imagine that, the sea! Like what we used to imagine as children!" Thekla's eyes were shining with excitement, and her smile was so infectious that I joined in.

"It sounds marvellous."

"Oh, it is, it is!"

I nodded, and promised I would visit one day, and listened patiently to her chatter as we made our way to the river, where the guests had all gathered. I had to admit, though it was unusual, the setting was really beautiful. The sun was shining, but the air was cool, and I had to admit Thekla and Pesah made a perfect pair. I knew him by sight, well enough to nod at if I passed him in the street - and he was as kind and enthusiastic as Thekla herself. I knew they would be happy together.