Chapter 24 - A Midsummer Night's Despair

•●•●•●•

"How long did the Council go on for, anyway? Surely it wasn't nearly this long in the winter."

Malbeth shrugged, trying to sit on his hands - but that made it worse, so he carefully took off his cloak, making sure the outside was against the jagged rock, and sat on that. Granted, our well was not the most comfortable of places, but if we tried meeting somewhere else, it seemed wrong for some reason.

"It's always longer in the summer, because there are more of them. Eldarion told me it went on for hours this time, and for days afterwards they have to attend individual meetings and sort out all their arguments and ideas with a fine-tooth comb. I guarantee you, some of them are still at it - Eldarion even had to go as far as Minas Ithil to let Lord Elboron know all about the proceedings, as he didn't like to leave Lady Eruthiawen in her condition. He's due back today, though."

"Why do you not take part?" I wanted to know, examining my ankle where I'd scraped it sitting down. This well was truly not built for sitting on. It was not well built.

"I am not a captain of the guard. Eldarion, Ohtar, Bergil, and Haleth and Ulfred of Rohan are among the few that are given that honour. An honour, if the council is in any way as mundane as Eldarion says it is, that I wouldn't like to be granted."

I stretched out my arms, allowing my body to soak in as much of the sun as it could. It could rain again any day but recently our beloved Golden Serpent was making more of an appearance than usual. It was warm, but not overly hot and humid - just perfect, really. Many people filled the streets, chatting and laughing and taking advantage of the lovely weather. Beyond the wall, the young Mûmak Gïdjls bellowed in content - if I closed my eyes, I might even be at home.

The familiar sound of the rumbling and creaking of the Great Gates opening disturbed my reverie.

"There's Eldarion. I have to go,I promised I'd take over his shift so that he can properly return to his family."

"But you have night shift tonight!"

"He doesn't know that," Malbeth smiled. "At least he shouldn't, this month the guard shifts are my responsibility. See you tomorrow, Jeddah."

I waved goodbye, knowing full well how hypocritical I would sound of I berated him for overworking.

I wandered back to my stall, wondering if Lady Túrien would come to see me in her time in Minas Tirith. I knew Amira told her about my illness the last time she was here, and had been very sympathetic, sending well wishes and greetings. It would be lovely to finally talk to her again, to tell her how well I was doing in my new life and to thank her - again - for this opportunity.

•●•●•●•

I woke rather suddenly, in the middle of the night.

This was strange - nowadays I was sleeping very well, and hardly ever woke up randomly. I rolled onto my back, annoyed, and stared at the darkened ceiling, breathing as deeply as I could to ease myself back into unconsciousness.

Then someone - or something - banged so loudly I sat up violently, head spinning and heart hammering so quickly it felt as though it would burst through my chest. It took me a moment to realise it was someone knocking on the door downstairs, and I sank back onto my soft pillows - heart still pounding from shock - and waited for my landlady to inevitably open it.

When the banging resumed I rolled out of bed, wrapped my shawl around my shoulders and went to my window that looked out over the street to see what the matter was.