part 3

13.5 years old

Everyone is at Dylan's house. The gang. The usuals.  It's where we always hang out. Dylan's Mom always makes us food. He has the best video games, a really cool dog, an awesome sliding hill, and a four wheeler. You just can't get better than that!

On this particular evening, we're messing around with Dylan's video camera. Matt has the camera on and is asking everyone truth or dare. 

"Mary Kate. Truth or dare?" He points the camera right in her face.

She twirls her hair and shrugs. She's such an outgoing flirt.

"Dare, I guess." She has this natural courage that I'm jealous of. How can she choose dare, like it's no big deal?

"Ok. I dare you to do seven minutes in heaven with Pete."

Everyone laughs. Pete gives Matt a high five and runs into the closet. Dylan's closet is filled with stuffed animals, clothes that have dropped off hangers, board games, and random toys like action figures and matchbox cars. Mary Kate smiles and pretends to be embarrassed but I know that she loves the attention. She walks into the closet and closes the door. She will be sure to tell me every tiny, little detail of this experience later.

Seven minutes goes by quickly and Pete and Mary Kate come out of the closet to join us. Matt has the camera rolling again. Dylan started playing video games and Pete joins him.

"Rachel. Truth or dare? And I dare you to pick dare!" Why, Matty? Why? I hate this game so much. I hate that I hate this game so much and that I can't just have fun like my friends so easily do. My anxiety level sky rockets but I put my brave face on. 

"Fine. Dare." He better be nice to me. 

"I dare you to kiss Alex."

My face is pure shock. My mouth gapes open a bit and I'm sure my eyes are bugging out of my head. Pink immediately creeps into my cheeks. Everyone immediately stops what they are doing to look at me. 

These are my friends. These are people that I've grown up with and feel the most comfort with. And yet, this. This is too much.

"Ooooh, Rachel is blushing!" I'm going to kill Mary Kate.

I'm so mad a Matt right now. He knows that we only just had our first kiss a couple weeks ago. We aren't even past the clinking teeth stage yet. I'm going to punch him. That's if I don't burst into flames, right here, right now in Dylan's room.

Alex is laying down on the floor. His head, on his folded arms, resting on a pillow. He grins and I feel like I'm being played. Did Alex and Matt set this up? I'm going to kill them both. Rachel, you can do this. You can do this. It's not a big deal. Prove to them that you aren't a prude. You can do this. My thoughts are running rampant but at least they are positive. 

I walk over to Alex, kneel down by his head, and press my lips to his. It's sort of sideways, completely uncomfortable, and mortifying. But I do my best to press my lips to his.

Everyone is silent. Probably completely shocked that I actually did my dare, that I actually just kissed Alex in front of everyone. Matt shuts off the camera and stands up abruptly. He drops the camera on the bed next to Dylan. He runs his hands through his black, longish locks. The curls fall back onto his forehead but leaves some hair sticking up.

I notice that he needs a haircut. I also notice that I kinda like how his hair curls around his ears. It's cute.

He turns to Dylan and asks if his Mom made food. He's out the door and off to the kitchen. Not even waiting for an answer. The gang follows. Even Alex.

I need a minute.