Chapter 1

Moriarty

Jim paced the rooftop impatiently. He had been waiting for a total of four minutes now and he didn't want to wait any longer. He checked his watch again, it was only six, he said six. Jim's attention snapped forward when he heard the door open behind him. He couldn't help but smile at the tall dark haired man standing before him. Moriarty was so curious about this man, he lost sleep trying to figure him out. He was obsessed to say the least.

"Hello Sherlock Holmes." Jim practically sang. "I assume you came alone?"

"Of course I did. You said to come alone, and that is exactly what Ive done." Jim loved that deep voice of his, even if he did have an irritated tone in his voice. He couldn't get enough of this man, which is exactly why he kept setting up these games in order to see him.

"Would you like your next task?" Moriarty smirked ever so slightly and took a step closer to the detective. "It's a fun one Sherly, you're going to love it really."

Sherlock only nodded in response. Moriarty could practically see the dread in his eyes. He had been putting Sherlock through hell, but it would all pay off at the end. Jim handed over a small envelope to Sherlock and looked at him expectantly.

"Am I opening this one here?" He raised an eyebrow quizzically. All the other 'tasks' had specific instructions as to when and where he was allowed to open them, but this one was special, it needed to be opened in person.

"Yes you are Mr. Holmes." His smile spread farther across his face.

Sherlock opened the envelope carefully and pulled out the note. Before he could read it to himself Jim instructed him to read it aloud. Sherlock hesitated then read:

An explosive encounter in a darkened room. Lights dancing across your skin. A close call, though we 'stayed alive.' These things are in common and the location is where you will meet me tomorrow night at nine.

Sherlock frowned at the words then looked into the consulting criminal's eyes. "The pool? Why there, isn't that rather obvious?"

"That was the point Sherlock. I'll be seeing you soon. Don't be late, daddy doesn't like to wait." Moriarty gave the detective a wink before strolling away and through the rooftop door.

------------------------------------------

Sherlock

Sherlock paced the flat, his thoughts racing. Why would Moriarty choose the pool of all places? Why at nine? Why did he wear that suit today? Sherlock paused at that last question. His suit? Why was he thinking about his attire? Sherlock shook his head and slumped down onto the couch. Strangely the detective couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to know more and more about Jim Moriarty.

John got home about an hour later, he had had another date with that Mary girl. They seemed to be getting close now. Although Sherlock heard the door open he didn't open his eyes to look at John, he was in his mind palace and needed to stay focused.

"Oh no, what happened?" John asked, the worry in his voice evident.

"Hmm" was all Sherlock responded with.

"Is there a case?" John persisted.

"Of sorts perhaps..." Sherlock opened his eyes and looked at John. He stared back and neither of them spoke for several minutes.

"Is it Moriarty? Did he do something again?" John was quick to catch on with things despite his poor deduction skills. Sherlock had developed a behavior whenever something happened with Jim Moriarty, and John could tell when he was in that mood.