Chapter 4: Ashes to Ashes

Trigger warning: the following chapter contains gore. Please read with caution.

For a second, everything seemed quiet before drone clusters exploded one by one in quick, fiery succession. Lost in the light and noise was another cluster, and then another.

Lilac covered her face as acrid smoke stung her eyes and clogged her airways. She coughed, sucking in more toxic smoke. Rubbing away tears, she stared blankly at the spectacle in front of her; smoking bills of shrivelled rubbish, and people screaming in the fire. Charred fingers reached out from the flames in an attempt to flee, only for the people to fall, wailing as the pain became too much. Though the temperature was rapidly rising, chills ran down her entire body. Not even her worst nightmares could compare to a horrific sight like this.

Another explosion shook the walls, making small bits of debris sprinkle to the floor. Screams mixed into the blasts in a cacophony of nightmarish sounds. Lilac closed her eyes, unable to distinguish whether the shaking was from the shockwaves or her fear. Safety was non-existent, but flimsy walls offered a strange comfort. It was better than nothing. Anything was better than nothing!

With every tremor, she crawled towards Chickadee, ignoring the pain as the heat seared her hair and skin. In the lull between explosions, shrieks filled the air, saturated in fear and shock. Lilac shakily curled up onto a foetal position.

Why did she want to die?

Another scream pierced the air.

This was scary; dying was scary.

Tears fell in quick, warm streams.

Cries of absolute agony mixed with the loud crackling of the fires; scalding, toxic smoke wafted in with every shockwave, and tremors made the walls creak as metal slid on metal. Lilac covered her ears and squeezed her eyes shut. Temperatures rose to an almost unbearable degree, but the girl refused to move.

Don't panic. Don't panic. Don't panic.

A deafening boom shattered the air, and then everything went silent. Lilac stayed still for a while, listening to an eerie, echoing ring that seemed to make itself known in the absence of any other sound. In that silence, her muscles still shuddered even though the tremors and the explosions ceased. She couldn't move. Her limbs seemed locked in an invisible mould. What if the explosions started again? What if death came to them with the twitch of a finger?

"I'm scared."

Lilac froze. Chickadee was awake. She watched as the small girl reached out with a shaky hand.

"Everything hurts. Please hold me. I don't want to die alone."

Lilac took a deep, shaky breath and slowly crawled forwards. Terror flashed in the back of her mind, but she curled her fingers around Chickadee's damp, feverish palm. No crying. She had to be strong, for herself and for the only person that cared for her.

A second after, Chickadee smiled and closed her eyes.

Lilac's heart skipped a beat. No! Her eyes scanned Chickadee's small form.

The chest was still, devoid of life.

Lilac collapsed.

Why? Chickadee wasn't supposed to die. Neither of them was supposed to die. She just wanted to scream, to batter against the rules by refusing to do what they wanted. She never wanted...

Lilac gazed at the girl and blinked. It took her all to hold back relief. No way. She had to be hallucinating. She leaned over and placed her hand on Chickadee's chest. There was a moment of silence before a subtle movement made itself known. Relief bloomed from her chest as a smile sprang upon her face.