Chapter 1: And you?

ALYSSA'S POV

I'm in the middle of doing calculus homework when my phone rings. I set down my pencil and answer my phone.
"Um, hello?" I ask. Caller I.D. says it's my friend Rhyen Holmes.
"What the actual fuck is life?!" She screams through the phone.
"Woah, Rhy, what happened?" I ask, standing up.
She squeals. "My mom bought me tickets to go see a 5SOS concert!" She tells me. "And you have to go with me!"
"Did I sign a contract or something?" I ask sarcastically.
"No, but...I mean, come on!" She exclaims. "It's 5 Seconds of Summer!"
I've never really listened to them, but they are cute. They're probably stuck up though, because they're all super famous.
"Sure, I'll go." I tell her. "When is it?"
"Saturday at 10:00," She says. "PM."
"Well, duh." I roll my eyes, even though she can't see me.
"Alyssa?" She asks.
"Yeah?"
"I haven't even told you the best part."
Shit, I'm scared.
"What?" I ask.
She screams again, causing me to jerk the phone away from my ear. "We get to meet the band!" She screeches.
"Really? That's awesome, Rhy!" I say. "Your mom is so cool!"
"Yeah, I guess." I can practically hear her freaking out inside.
"So, what songs are the band playing?" I ask, hoping I know them.
"Well, I don't know the order, but I know they're playing English Love Affair, She Looks so Perfect, Amnesia, and Voodoo doll. There's a ton more, but I can't remember them all." She says.
Good, I know those songs.
"Kay, well, I'd love to chat, but I've got homework." I say.
She groans. "Calculus?"
"Yup, it's quite wonderful." I joke.
"I'll bet." She says. "Well, I'll leave you to your homework while I go get coffee."
I groan. "You jerk. I'm hanging up on you."
"Okay."

I hang up.
"I want coffee!" I whine. "Why does the world have to be so unfair?" I walk into the kitchen and grab a Mountain Dew out of the fridge. I grumble to myself as I walk back to my room. Why does the world hate me?

*~*

I cannot concentrate on my homework. Three days until I get to go out and have fun...three days until I get to watch hot guys sing. So, maybe I don't know very much about 5SOS, but they're hot, okay?
I put my head on my desk and sigh.
I need coffee, now.
I pull on my Nike's and a light sweater, then jog out the door. My dad and his wife are working on the rose bushes in front of my house. My step-mom is the first one to notice me.
"Alyssa!" She calls. "Hey, where are you going?" She asks.
"I couldn't concentrate on my homework, so I'm going to get a coffee." I say as I walk down the steps. She smiles warmly. "Alright, see you in a while."

I get in the car and run a hand through my long, blonde curls. My dad didn't even acknowledge my existence. He's been like this since mom died. I can tell that he still blames me for her death, no matter how many times people deny it. My dad was off on a business trip, and my mom was sick with pneumonia. He left me, at only twelve years old, to care for my sick mother. I had a huge soccer tournament that weekend, and my mother wanted me to go. I left her with lots of blankets, extra food and water, her medication, and I turned on the television so that she wouldn't be bored. We won the tournament 24-17. I practically skipped into my house, beaming with pride. I couldn't wait to tell my mom. When I walked into her room, the television was on. My mom wasn't moving; she wasn't breathing. Her eyes were glazed over and they were fixed on some point in the distance that I couldn't find. I called her name, I tried to wake her, I begged her to come back. It was too late, she was dead.
I dialed 911, and ambulances rushed to my house immediately. My mom had died from an Epileptic seizure, probably caused by something that was on the TV.

Her death was my fault.

About a day later, when my dad got home, he looked at me disapprovingly before disappearing into his office.
He wouldn't talk to me for two months.
My dad still ignores me today, but my step-mom is really nice. Her name is Martha.
My mother's name was Elisha.

I take a deep, shaky breath before starting the car and driving away. I pass a Wal-Mart and a Wendy's before I finally reach Starbucks.
Once I'm inside, I wait in line to place my order.
"Peppermint Mocha, please." I tell the cashier. It's my favorite special of theirs.
"Name?" She asks.
"Alyssa." I go to an empty table in the corner and wait. I'm thinking about my mom when my name is called. Right as I'm walking out with my coffee, someone bumps into me from behind. My drink spills all over on the floor in front of me. I'm about to bitch-slap that person in the face when someone says, "Oh, shit, sorry!" It's the Australian accent that stops me. I slowly turn around to face him. He's at least six inches taller than me, and he has fabulous hair. He has beautiful blue eyes and his face is gorgeous.
"Um...it's alright. I'll buy a new one." I tell him.
"Wait, I'll get you a new one. I spilled yours, anyway." He says. His pale eyes search my face before he turns to the cashier and says, "Can we get another Peppermint Mocha, please?" He asks. Damn, that accent is hot.
The cashier looks annoyed.
"Name?" She asks again. The boy looks at me and I say, "Alyssa." Again.
The boy puts an arm around my shoulder and steers me towards a table. He pulls a chair out for me and sits across from me.
"Sorry about your drink." He says, folding his long legs under the table.
"It's fine, really. It was just a drink." I tell him. The only problem is, I was ready to cut him when he made me spill my drink.
I guess it's better to keep that to myself.
"Thanks for getting me a new drink, though." I say, looking down.
"Of course." He smiles.

Oh my heck, that is adorable.

My name is called again, and when I start to stand up, the boy shakes his head.
"I'll get it." He says, standing up. I awkwardly sink back into my seat. He pays the cashier and walks back to the table.
"Don't even think about paying for it, okay? I got it." He says.
I laugh a little. "Okay, I got it." He smiles again, and I notice the dimples in his cheeks. He's so attractive...why is he talking to me?
"So, your name is Alyssa?" He asks.
"Yeah, I'm Alyssa Chase." I say, taking a sip of my drink. He takes my hand and smirks.
"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you." He says and kisses the back of my hand. I blush furiously. He lowers his arm, but keeps holding my hand.
"And your name is?" I ask him. He looks shocked.
"You don't know?" He asks.
"Um...no." I state bluntly. His tongue flicks out and plays with his lip piercing.
"So, who are you?" I ask. He stands up and leans down next to me, his lip piercing cold against my ear. He whispers,
"That's for me to know, and you to find out." And with that, he saunters out of Starbucks, leaving me speechless.

*~*

Feedback, please? Should I continue?

Thanks, loves. Luke is kinda really hot.

~Annabeth xoxo