Repentance Part III (Zeus x Hera)

Prompt: Zeus travels to Samos to speak with his estranged wife, but will one apology be enough to right thousands of years' worth of wrongs?

The island of Samos was a well-hidden gem, tucked far away from the Greek mainland near the coast of Ionia. Having steep mountains, waterfalls, and fertile valleys blanketed by lush forests, it was the home of mortal farmers, fishermen, winemakers, and scholars alike, including the philosopher Pythagoras. Situated atop a hill on the southern coast of the island was the grand Heraion of Samos—Hera's temple. 

Zeus waited until the last light of day faded before approaching the building. As the goddess Asteria decorated the night sky with stars, the priests burned the last of their incents and cleared the plates of food from the day's sacrifice before covering the oil torches and turning in for the night. Seeing that the coast was clear, Zeus pulled the hood of his cloak over his head and ducked inside the darkened temple. He followed the long, columned hallway until he came to the small room that housed Hera's sacred altar. 

Indeed, standing regally atop the carved stone altar was the golden statue of Hera, depicting her in a flowing gown and long veil secured by her iconic polos. She clutched a pomegranate in one hand and a staff headed with a cuckoo bird in the other, a representation of how their marriage came to be. Zeus looked at the bird and hung his head in shame, remembering the tricks he used to seduce Hera into their incestuous marriage, much to the horror of their mother Rhea. Resting at Hera's feet was a bouquet of lilies and a hand-carved wooden doll, no doubt offerings from the family of a young girl soon to be wed.

As he studied the doll, Zeus realized what a contradictory life Hera lived. Every day she approved the marriages and blessed the futures of happy couples, all the while knowing just how miserable marriage can become. 

Zeus sighed, then turned his attention back to the statue. He took a deep breath, bracing himself for what was to come. 

"Hera?" he called out, his deep voice reverberating off the marble halls. "I know you're there."

After a long moment, the statue began to emit a faint glow as the gold facade melted away to reveal milky-white skin, long wavy tresses of flaming red hair, and a pair of striking green eyes that locked onto him immediately.

"Well...this is a rare sight, indeed," Hera stated in her sultry purr of a voice. "It is not every day that the mighty king of the gods leaves the comfort of his palace, especially on my account."

Zeus avoided her gaze and shifted his feet uncomfortably. "Yes, well I...there is something I wish to discuss."

Hera let the cuckoo fly off into the trees before resting her staff and the slice of pomegranate on the floor by her feet. "If it concerns your latest affair, the matter is settled. To speak of it further is a waste of good breath."

"To you perhaps, but I really think we should talk this through. You see, I—"

She curtly raised her hand, silencing him. "Enough! I will hear no more of your excuses and hollow promises. What's done is done and that is all I have to say on the subject. If you have come to escort me home, then you have wasted a journey. Mount Olympus has been suffocating me these last few centuries and I have nothing to occupy my time. I feel so...unimportant. My patron duties here have given me a new sense of purpose."

"I am pleased you find joy in helping the mortals and that they respect you so deeply. You seem happiest when performing your duties."

Hera gave him a challenging look. "Really? If you know I am happy here, then why do you insist I return to Olympus? My role as queen is insignificant compared to my responsibility as the goddess of marriage. The majority of my duties take place in mortal temples."