Chapter 5, Training my 'Powers'

The next day

As I head out of my house, it's a Saturday, Stanley comes running over to me.

"You have super powers?" He whispers wide eyed.

"I prefer not to talk about it. Plus, there not exactly super when I can't control them."

He looks over to me "Then let me help you learn to control them." He pleads.

"How could you do that?" I ask.

He thinks for a bit "Meet me out in the forest near our school at 8:30 tonight to find out."

I roll my eyes and start walking away.

He follows me "Please."

I keep walking.

"Just give it a try." He keeps pleading.

"Fine." I shoot back and continue walking away.

That night

When I meet Stanley in the forest he has a pillow.

"You did it yesterday."

I'm tempted to turn around and leave "Ya. On accident." I say

"The curtain didn't look like an accident." He says "So I know you can control it."

"But I can't. When I get mad it just... happens."

"So it's when you get mad." He says.

"Ya?" I reply.

He looks at me and then sets the pillow down "Look at the pillow." He says.

I roll my eyes and look at it "Ok?"

He says "I'm apologizing in advance."

"For what?" I ask.

He ignores me and says "Keep looking at the pillow."

I look at the pillow as he says "Your mom left when you were younger. Right?"

"Right?" I say back "Why?"

"And you'll never understand why. Why your dad hates you. Maybe it's all your fault? You'll never know will you? You will never get the chance to know."

I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to get me mad so I can use my 'powers'. It's not gonna work.

He keeps talking "You know what. You don't even have friends. Nobody likes you. Your not like other girls, at all. Noah has chose you as a target and you always will be one. He's always gonna use your abusive dad as an excuse. Others will too. Everyone probably knows y/n. Even your teachers who don't care."

I look around at the forest.

I'm getting mad. He should shut up.

"Always. Forever. This is your life."

I feel the ground start shaking.

"And this to add on to it. You'll never know what's wrong with you. Why you can do these things? Why others can't? Why forever more when you get mad you'll have to run so you don't hurt anybody."

"Shut up." I whisper as the ground really starts shaking.

He looks around for a second then back to me "Imagine this pillow is your dads and Noah's face. Focus on the pillow."

The pillow explodes infront of me as I look at it. The ground continues shaking.

Stanley's jaw really drops now. He says "You did it!"

"You should've shut up!" I scream and the trees around fall away from me tumbling to the ground."

Everything stops shaking.

Stanley looks at me "Holy-"

"I shouldn't have come here." I start walking away but he lightly grabs my shoulder.

"I just said that stuff to get you mad. I didn't mean it." He pauses "That's why I apologized ahead of time."

I turn around toward him "Look around!" I yell "I just destroyed part of the forest! I can never control this!" I push his hand off of my shoulder.

"Y/n!" I hear him yell after me "You exploded the pillow! Like planned!"

"Don't talk to me!" I scream back and then whisper to myself the rest "I'm dangerous."

When I get back into my house I run up the stairs and inside of my room my dad looks at the broken window then to me.

Shoot.

He grabs me by the shoulder, hard.

I can't deal with this right now.

I try to squirm away.

"Where are you gonna go." He laughs "If I loose my grip. You can't go anywhere."

He uses his other hand to slap me "You know how much that window will cost."

"I don't care." I whisper through heavy breaths.

"What was that?" He grabs me by the hair and yanks me over with him to the bedroom door which he locks "I'll make you care."  He pushes me once toward the glass pieces, uncleaned up, from the window on the floor.

He pushes me again. One more step closer. Then again. This time down to the floor. Then he kicks me. I cower back and my hand hits some glass creating a cut.

"Ow!" I scream.

What was it that Stanley did. I have to imagine what I want to happen. Like the pillow.

I look at the lamp over on the shelf and imagine it floating up and hitting him. I think about the pain in my hand as he kicks me again and it starts floating behind him.

My father picks me up by the front of my shirt to my feet harshly. He holds up a fist to me. And I make the lamp crash into the back of his head. He falls to the ground and I fall on the glass. I have cuts up and down my back and my arms.

What now.

I look out the window over to Stanley's.

"You have to let people help you." He had said that one day.

God I hated him just a bit ago. But if it weren't for his stupid little lesson, my dad would've most likely thrown me out of this broken window.

I struggle to stand up do to a deep cut in the back of my knee.

I wobble down the stares and out the door to Stanley's. When I knock on his door and he answers his eyes widen as I drop into his arms.