Arc IV (3) - 1850

The letters keep coming and going, but there is an extra, unspoken feeling tinting their words.

They still tell each other about their days, about their favorites, about their dreams and fears. But now, new paragraphs dedicated to praises and soft words are included as well.

Ellise confesses that she thinks that Jenilyn is the most beautiful girl ever. The shortest brunette, in exchange, claims that it's not possible, that the tallest girl has already claimed that title, that her features are simply ethereal and that she can't believe that she exists somewhere.

The Seoul girl becomes braver then. She sends more pictures, more gifts. She tells Jenilyn that she can' stop staring at her cat-eyes, at her pinkish mouth, at her soft cheeks, and the shortest brunette spends the whole reading of the letters giggling in delight.

She answers likewise, saving money to take a few more pictures, and gathers courage to compliment Ellise's expressive eyes, her strong jaw, her puckered lips. When reading her friend's words, the tallest girl finds herself biting her lower lip, trying to hold in a smile.

Their feelings, still unsaid, become apparent in the weight of the ink traces. Both girls feel it all going tenser, higher, at the brink of something both terrifying and absolutely wonderful.

-

One day, after almost a year of the thread of letters, Ellise turns eighteen. Jenilyn writes her a long letter sending her good wishes, the sweetest words, and a beautiful silver ring that the tallest brunette knows it must have costed days and days of work.

She cries through the words and keeps crying as she puts her gift on proudly. She feels a need at the bottom of her heart palpitating harden than ever, and decides that she can't wait another year. She can't wait another minute, actually.

She runs to the kitchen to tell her parents everything.

She comes back to her bedroom sporting a wide, toothy smile. Caressing her ring with her thumb, Ellise begins to write.

My Jen:

Thank you for the lovely words and for the most beautiful present ever. I'm wearing it already. It fits perfectly. I should be mad at you for making me tear up at the loveliness of your gesture, but I don't think I could ever be mad at you.

I'm excited to tell you the most fantastic news! I told my parent about you and the possibility of traveling to finally meet face-to-face. They were not happy with the idea of me taking a train to Daegu, but they agreed on letting me go to Eumseong, which is right in the middle of our cities! Maybe, if you wish, we could organize to meet there. I hope you don't feel pressured by my proposal, I know how troubling the sudden trip could be to you.

Please, let me know what you think about this idea on the next letter.

Always thinking about you, lately,

Your Lis

Ellise puts her letter inside the envelope, still smiling.

She can only hope.

-

Jenilyn reads her letter with a vibrating feeling making her heart jump.

She thinks about the possibilities, about the obstacles.

She knows she would have to work hard for at least a month before being able to afford the tickets. She knows that her parents would be pissed at her for missing a few days of work.

Reading the letter again, embedded by Ellise's scent, Jenilyn decides that it is worth it.

She writes a letter to the tallest girl agreeing on the meeting and asking for further details.