Nightmares

*post RTTE*

Astrid's POV

"I love you, lass," my mother whispered as she stroked my hair, her arms embracing me with love and protection I would only allow from her and my father.

"I love you, too, Mom." I gave her an extra squeeze before heading upstairs to my old room in the Hofferson household. The door closed behind me with a squeak. I took off my boots and climbed into bed, the serene twinkling of the stars and soft glow of the moon outside allowing me to reflect on the events of today.

First day back on Berk after a whole year living on the Edge, I have to admit everything seems different. Then again, many things are. For one, we're all a little older and wiser. A year's worth of hands-on experience fighting Dragon Hunters, making new friends and allies, and taming the wildest of dragons had really given us Dragon Riders a new perspective on things. Like how to relish the peace and quite because Thor knows it won't last.

Ruffnut being chased after by Snotlout and Fishlegs is a whole other thing. I didn't have the slightest idea how it started, nor did I want to know, and I wasn't sure whether or not to thank the woman for being the cause of Snotlout finally taking his eyes off of me.

Dagur and Mala were married and living happily on Defenders of the Wing Island, creating a hopefully lasting peace between the two tribes. Heather was still on Berserker Island as the General of the Berserker Armada. I sent her a terror-mail earlier to day, so I hoped to hear how she was doing sometime soon.

And speaking of unexpected romances, I'd finally gotten the chance to tell my mother about Hiccup and I. Honestly, I'd never expected her to squeal as loud as she did. She could easily have competed with Heather.

Hiccup and I left Berk at 18 as friends and came back at 19 as betrothed. It's kinda funny how life sneaks up on you like that. You're caught in a moment that feels like a lifetime when it was only several months that are, compared to the bigger picture, are relatively insignificant.

Tonight was a tough night. I tossed and turned, adjusted my pillow, anything I could to get comfortable. I supposed it was because it had been a while since I'd slept a full night on my own. Back on the Edge, Hiccup and I would spent most nights talking about a variety of subjects. The war with the Dragon Hunters, the subjugation of the Singetails, good memories and stories, and our newfound relationship. I'd gotten so used to falling asleep in Hiccup's arms, sleeping by myself was...unfamiliar. I didn't even have Stormfly by my side since she was resting in her old stable.

Come on, I chastised myself, you're Astrid Hofferson. Former member of the Berk Guard, Dragon Rider and Trainer, warrior, Viking. You've fought some of the nastiest dragons and Vikings. You can certainly fall asleep without fear.

But without the heartwarming feeling of Hiccup's presence, I had no idea if he was okay.

No, don't think like that. He's fine. Even if he was in danger, which he is not, his dad and Toothless are with him.

I grumbled in frustration. What was wrong with me? I shouldn't have to worry.

And I won't.

But just in case, I sent a small prayer to the gods, asking them to keep him safe. Then, at last, I managed to close my eyes and become one with the darkness around me.

///

"HICCUP!"

I shot up in a cold sweat, my heart beating faster than Stormfly can fly. The moon no longer gleamed directly out my window, so I guessed it was around midnight.