Prologue

Heaven. The walls were white and pristine, the marble floor had no stains or smudges, and the large glass windows somehow stayed free of fingerprints. Sure, it wasn't what most people expected. People still want the kingdom in the clouds and the big pearly gates, but everything- including Heaven - has been modernized. Despite the new look, Heaven still retained its peacefulness. Or so you would expect.

"This is fucking ridiculous!" Gabriel snapped. He slammed his hands onto the curved desk in front of him, sending vibrations throughout the whole of Heaven.

"Yez, indeed." Beelzebub added, remaining calm while Gabriel exploded like a volcano.

"We deserved that war! After everything we've been through- after all those years of training and- if it wasn't for Aziraphale and Crowley we would be ruling the world by now!" Sweat poured from his face.

"Hmm, yez. Aziraphale and Crowley... deserved to be punished." Beelzebub stated, crossing their arms and leaning on the large white desk that Gabriel had hit.

"Well we already tried that, didn't we?! It's obvious that their beliefs have become so muddled that they're no longer angel nor demon. Therefore, we can't burn Aziraphale and we can't drown Crowley!" Gabriel was past angry- he was frustrated. He was, God forbid, deeply annoyed.

Beelzebub stood awkwardly as they watched Gabriel heave with angry breaths. They looked up and glanced out one of the many windows overlooking the rest of London.

Beelzebub didn't get this kind of view from the basement, so since they were up here, they might as well enjoy the view.

It was dim outside, but that was only because large clouds covered the sun and created an overcast. Beelzebub wasn't aware of any rain coming in, but what would it matter anyways? It's not like they went outside that often.

"So-" Beelzebub began, but was immediately cut off by Gabriel.

"WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE JUST SUCK TO THE PLAN?!" Gabriel screamed, grabbing a bottle of ink from the desk and throwing it across the room, sending black liquid everywhere.

Beelzebub took a step back. You would expect the leader of Hell to be used to anger and tantrums, but demons would never have done something like that. Angels are so entitled.

"I mean, Crowley I understand because he's a demon, he isn't supposed to follow the rules. But Aziraphale?! He was supposed to be a good little warrior and follow the damn plan!" Gabriel swatted away a few flies that had come closer than he wanted.

Beelzebub looked up and saw the hoard of flies surrounding their mass of black hair and was pleased. Hopefully, when they left, some of the flies would stay behind and infect one of the angels with a disease.

"It doesn't help to dwell on the past. Right now we have to figure out a way to get the war we deserve." Beelzebub stated.

Gabriel let out a heavy sighed and stood up straight. He adjusted his white suit and began to speak. "You're right, you're right. No good it does to dwell on the past. But we can't just- we can't spontaneously start a war. We're civil entities! Logical, if you will. We need another plan."

The two settled into the silence, both of their brains running at full speed.

"I've got it!" Gabriel snapped.

Beelzebub glared at him, silently asking him to elaborate.

"Instead of war, we host a series of games! A tournament, if you will. That way we can still determine which side is better but we aren't going against God's plan and having a random war. It's genius!"

Beelzebub nodded their head, maybe even cracked a small smile. "So what exactly are we playing for?"

"Well, play to enslave of course! The winning side will get full control over the other. Deal?" Gabriel stuck out his hand.

Beelzebub nodded and grasped his hand with their own hand, which was caked with grime and dirt. "It's a deal." 

- 660 words -