17. When the Nightingale Sings

The walk to your room was painfully slow. Every time you turned a corner, your heart would cease to beat out of fear of running into Nikolai without warning, or without a chance to properly recollect yourself; you knew if you did happen to collide with him again you'd only look like an outright fool in front of him, which was not something you would enjoy in the least.

You had had enough of games. You simply wanted to stop thinking, to stop worrying. You wanted to feel what a bird might in an early morning soaring through the sky, their only thought being the wind under their wings.

I've achieved nothing but giving myself up.

And still...

All I've done is falling for the words of some men.

Why do I still trust them? Why do I still run back like...like their pet mouse?

A chill runs down your skin as once again, your mind senses doubt and doesn't fail to remind you of Fyodor, your promises to him, they way you now belonged to him...the dark ambience around the two of you, his words full of confidence, full of promise, your eyes blinded by desire. Grabbing your hips, pulling you in, kissing your lips like he meant it.

Did he?

No...he chose me, marked me, only to save me so I could help them.

How...I'm not so sure.

But he isn't a liar...

It can't all be lies...

Can it?

Ugh.

I'm supposed to be enjoying the process to liberation.

Arriving to your room in as much peace as you could be in, you pull out your keys to open it when you hear the heart of someone walking right up to you, standing behind you without a word. As soon as their hand touches your shoulder, you turn around and take their wrist threateningly, placing your fingers on their pulse to activate your ability. However, as soon as you see who it is, you realize all your efforts would have been a waste of time.

No.

"Dazai. What do you want?" You ask him, letting go of him completely, crossing your arms in front of your chest.

"To make sure you're ok after the incident at the bar...I don't know what happened, but I haven't given up on you...I just think you need a little extra persuading." Dazai says as he pulls out of his pockets the poker chip coin he had taken from you, leaving outwards towards you with his palm open. At that, you take the chip carefully out of his hands, wrapping your own fingers around the small, cold piece of metal.

No.

"I'm only ok because my Manager was kind enough to help me. I advise you to stay away from me now."

Go away.

"Do you know what you have in your hand now?" He then asks, glaring at you seriously.

"A coin you stole from me?" You snort, rolling your eyes.

"A bomb."