Chapter 2

We ride through the fields as fast as we can. Neither of us speak much. I think we're both preparing for the certain devastation that is awaiting both of us. All I can think about is Laura. Tall, redheaded Laura. I've known her since I was two.
She has to be alright.

Around the middle of the afternoon, I see a spiral of smoke rising over the plain. I grit my teeth. That's not good.

"We must be close." I mutter to Kaone. She shudders and nods. We continue to ride.
A couple minutes later, we ride into Byfay. My mouth drops open. The last time I was here, there were little girls dancing in the square wearing bright colours. Boys playing games. The women would do their chores happily, talking to their neighbours and smiling.
It was a generally happy place. Now, it's unrecognizable. Fires light the sky. The unmistakable scent of blood hits me and I gag. Children cry. People are huddled together wherever they can.
I jump off of my horse and grab my bag. I run to the nearest pair and hand them a blanket. Then I dash around, passing food.
As I hand one lady a loaf of bread, she grabs my hand.

"Your majesty-you shouldn't be here. It's too dangerous." She whispers. I kneel down in front of her.

"Nonsense. If you can do it, then so can I." I give a grim smile and stand up. I scan the square for Laura, or Arlen. I need to find them.
I walk to somebody else.

"Have you seen a tall girl with long red hair? Her name is Laura?" I ask them. The man shakes his head no. I thank him and move on.
I'm about to give up when I hear a shout.

"Eadu! Watch out!" Somebody screams. I turn to see a girl sprinting towards me.

"Laura?" I shout. I squint and see that it is indeed her. She looks terrified. Laura runs into me and pushes me over. I'm confused until I see it.

"No!" I scream. The arrow meant for me misses me, and strikes Laura in the chest.

She collapses to the ground. I scream in frustration and find the shooter. He is standing about 25 feet away. Without thinking, I draw my knives and run at him.
I attack viciously-anger clouding my judgement. He responds angrily-pulling out a sword. We battle hard for a couple minutes until his sword slips and my knife catches his throat. He falls to the ground-dead. I run back to Laura. I push through the crowd to see her, lying where I left her.
I drop to my knees and hold her head in my arms.

"It's ok. I've got you. Your going to be ok." I whisper. My voice is thick and hoarse. She weakly smiles.
We both know she's not going to make it.
But she can't die. Please-she can't die!

"C'mon Laura-please don't leave me! What about all those things we were going to do together! I can't do this without you." I mumble. Laura grabs my hand.

"It's ok Eadu. I've lived a good life. This is how I would of wanted to go. Don't mourn me-actually never mind. You should miss me. I'm awesome." She mutters. I chuckle quietly.

"I'm sorry." I whisper to her. She just shakes her head painfully and coughs.

"No....it was my choice. Just one more thing. Remember that song? The one our mothers used to sing to us? Can you sing it for me?" She murmurs. I lean back and think of the song. My mother used to sing it to me whenever I couldn't sleep.

"Ok." I mutter. Then I clear my throat and take a deep breath.

Rest, easy my love
Rest, easy my love
Forget all your cares, the troubles, the pain
Rest, easy my love

Cry, easy my love
Cry, easy my love
I'm always here-no worries, no fear
Cry, easy my love

I sing softly trying to hold back the tears. Laura's eyes flutter shut. I want to scream. To yell until I can't yell anymore. Laura takes a deep, hitching breath. Then her chest falls, and doesn't rise again.
She's gone. My oldest friend is dead.
The pain strikes me like a viper. It hurts more then when Kaone shot me.
But somehow, right now, the tears don't come. I feel almost numb. I kiss Laura lightly on the forehead, as my last goodbye, and stand up.

"She wouldn't want to be buried back in Delllea. Can we bury her here?" I ask hoarsely. The people just stare at me. Then one man steps forward and bows.

"Of course your majesty. Right away." He says. Two men come, and take her body away. I watch them until they are too far. Then I turn back to the people.

"Thank you, people of Byfar, for your sacrifice. It will never be forgotten. Anybody that wants to will be welcomed into my own home for the remainder of this war, and until you can rebuild." I curtesy to the people, who promptly fall on their knees before me. Normally I would feel honoured, but today all I want to do go home. I turn to Kaone, who has a horrified expression on her face, and tears streaming down her cheeks.
"C'mon. Let's go home." I murmur.