Chapter Eleven: Into The Unknown

"Well? Where is he?"

   "I...I don't know, Monsieur. I haven't been to this base yet. We had to move..."

   "Don't 'Monsieur' me! You are a spineless slug, and I am ashamed to share your face!"

   The team was standing in front of a large, gray building, with no other pebble, much less monument, for miles around. The B.L.U Spy was where he was in the van: on his stomach. The other Spy had put him there.

   "Where are the others?" Heavy demanded, giving Spy a mild 'back off' expression.

B.L.U Spy coughed, then pointed to a few rooms weakly. "We each have our own barracks. They are most likely there, sleeping off the gas."

Ms. Pauling frowned, writing in her notes, which by now had taken up three pages.

"Wouldn't you be guarding Scout? He is your prisoner, after all."

It was then that B.L.U Spy started to laugh, but was quickly scolded by Soldier's boot.

"We don't have time for your shenanigans, maggot!"

"Oh, this isn't the gas," B.L.U Spy said, still chuckling. "We have no need to guard our prisoners. The dungeon, as Ms. Pauling calls it, has too many levels to count. There is an elevator, but it can only be accessed by her. None of us have seen her in person for months, but the prisoner is always disappears if we leave them on the platform."

Engineer, who was checking the van for other "surprises," made a thoughtful noise.

"It could be a remote bit, or somethin' of the like. Not too complicated."

The B.L.U Spy shook his head. "The elevator moves by a key. Our Ms. Pauling has it hanging around her neck, and she swore it was one of a kind. If anyone so much as looked at it, she...ahem. She was very unhappy. Très en colère."

"This other me," Ms. Pauling said, wrinkling her nose, "sounds awful. It's strange to hear my name used in such terrible context."

"Oui."

"No bugs!" Engineer yelled from the truck. "But she has an awful lot of scrapes! Gonna need a new paint job after this. Pyro, close the hood, will ya?"

Pyro looked up from his newspaper project, then gently brought the hood down before continuing on with his work. Ms. Pauling looked over his shoulder, smiling.

"What's it going to be?"

Pyro put down his work, signing with both hands.

YOU. SEE. FUTURE.

"I'll know when it's done, huh? Okay."

YOU. LIKE.

"I bet I will. It looks great so far."

THANKS.

"No problem."

SPY. MAD. WHY?

Ms. Pauling looked around, making sure she was out of earshot.

"I think he's a little embarrassed. He was fooled by another Spy."

Pyro looked down, adjusting his gas mask. He seemed hesitant to sign what he did next.

BLUE. SPY. CRY. PAST.

"He is certainly upset. I think it has something to do with his Ms. Pauling. She sounds nasty."

CAPTAIN HOOK?