Chapter 2

"It's been a moon, Wildfire," Blizzard whispered to her sister, who was fidgeting in her nest. The little she-cat lifted her head and slowly got up, stretching her legs out. The silver she-cat positioned herself in front of the old Storm Siblings den, making sure Viper or Python wouldn't shove his nose where it didn't belong. Hearing those words lit the golden cat's face, giving her a spark in her stiff bones. Seeing her get up after a moon's worth of laying in a dark den made a smile cross the silver cat's face.

     She was taken back at the growth of her sister, who now stood at her height when she sat down. When Blizzard stood up, Wildfire barely touched the top of her shoulders. Her heart fluttered with warmth, knowing her little sister was growing into a strong she-cat. Instincts took over and she embraced the tiny cat, pouring all her love into the small body. Just like before, the she-cat sucked up the attention and took advantage of any kind of warmth.

     Oh, how she's grown, she's not the same little she-cat I've known. Pride swarmed through her and Blizzard pulled away, looking at Wildfire all over. There was a gleam of excitement in her eyes, ready to leave the den she was trapped in.

     "Does this mean I can finally leave and go?!" her sister exclaimed with a bounce, almost blowing their cover. Blizzard pressed a paw on her sister's back, lowering her back to the ground. Wildfire glared at her but didn't say anything offensive back.

     "Yes," Blizzard replied, pressing her head to Wildfire's ear. "But the problem is we can't find Hurricane anywhere. Firestorm has searched for the past moon and hasn't even caught a whiff of any scent that belongs to her. I can't just leave you out there and expect you to survive on your own, you've done nothing but stay in this den for an entire moon."

     "But I can't stay here much longer! Don't you understand?!" Wildfire moaned. "When I heard about your plan, I couldn't just sit there anymore! Knowing that Hurricane is out there with Lightning trying to find a way to end all of this isn't sitting well with me. I want to get out of here and help her in some way." She sighed, curling her tail around her paws. "Even now, this is the most I've moved since I got here. You wouldn't understand."

     But I would, Wildfire, Blizzard thought, sadness sweeping through her gaze. You wouldn't understand half of it, being honest. It only lasted a single moon for you, doing nothing except stare at an open exit, pretending to be dead. She sat down, supporting her sister with a reassuring nudge. Wildfire didn't respond and kept her angered gaze away.

     You didn't spend your entire life staring at your father and siblings as they grew up, knowing you couldn't do anything to protect them. It hurt to watch you guys grow up and the fact I couldn't save Tsunami that day too. I've always stared at an open entrance, knowing I could do something, but the fact I couldn't do anything is holding me down. That's been my entire life, Wildfire, she whispered, hoping she could send her thoughts to the she-cat. Knowing something big was happening and you couldn't join. My sweet little sister, that's my entire life.

     "Blizzard?"

     Both cats perked their head up at the entering tom, body weighed down by exhaustion. Firestorm came through and landed on his nest, sinking his face into the soft grass, letting out a long sigh. The tom groaned, staying where he was while his two sisters watched him, unable to say a thing. Eventually, he looked back at them, dark circles resting below his eyes. Blizzard slowly blinked, coming closer to her older brother.

     Instead, he pushed her away softly, ignoring her help.

     "Any sign?" she whispered, already knowing the answer.

     "No," he responded, voice raspy. "I haven't found a single thing. There hasn't been a single scent of her, Lightning, Snow, or Wasp out there. Not even Lizard and Scarlet can pick anything up. They're just like me." Firestorm closed his eyes and slumped back into the nest. Blizzard stepped forward, avoiding his push and examined the scratches along his pelt.