Chapter 7

"I can't sit still," Lizard whispered to Scarlet, causing Blizzard to flick her ear in annoyance. "He's getting more serious each day." The two cats straightened up just as Python passed through, giving them a gruff look.

     When he stopped in front of the gray tom, Blizzard's heart fell to her stomach and she could only look away, pretending she wasn't there. Poplar cast a worried look at her friend and gulped, staying quiet as Scarlet fidgeted in her seat.

     Stars above, please don't let them know... Blizzard narrowed her eyes at Firestorm's place behind their father, staring at his paws and refusing to lift a paw to save his friend. Lizard didn't seem to rely on his superior's guidance and only stood his ground, facing Python.

     "Can you explain how another she-cat escaped when you were on guard?" Python demanded, placing the blame on Lizard.

     The gray tom flattened his ears. "I'll tell you a million times if I have to. She escaped when I wasn't looking. You did see there was a hole in the wall. With her skinny frame, she could've easily escaped."

     "Like all those other she-cats?" At this, Lizard froze, fear now starting to trickle into his system.

     Python threw a paw at each she-cat in the clearing. Scarlet, Blizzard, Poplar, and Butterfly tensed up and looked the other way, silently supporting their friend from behind. Firestorm still did nothing, holding his anger back well. She looked at her brother and received his message, knowing she was helpless as Lizard faced punishment.

     "I know you've gone around to each she-cat in my tribe. You seduce them with your way of words and only get rejected in the end." Lizard bit his lip and lowered his head, knowing what was coming next. Python didn't waste time and sharply cuffed the tom in the ear, drawing blood. At this, Firestorm tensed up and looked ready to protest but his friend a simple wave of his tail, motioning him away.

     Blizzard felt Poplar inch closer, worry creeping through her friend.

     "It really does explain the past five she-cats that have gotten away when you were on guard," Python mentioned, making Lizard hold, his paws supporting his weight with his head bent down, blood flowing down his cheek. "I'm sure you had something to do with it. Care to explain?"

     "I---"

     Lizard didn't get a chance to finish before Python whirled around, lashing a clawed paw in front of his face. The tom barely avoided the attack and reared away, yowling as blood flew out of his nose. It didn't stop and the gray tom choked when his leader threw him to the ground, pounding him on the sides. Firestorm finally broke away from his trance and stepped forward but Viper interceded, making her brother's face scrunch in anger. Scarlet broke away and bared her teeth, unleashing her own claws, ready to jump in had Butterfly not jumped ahead, placing herself in the she-cat's path.

     Then Python slammed Lizard's head on the ground, making Blizzard hold back a growl. Underneath one paw, the gray tom coughed up a mount of blood and weakly glowered at the massive cat. Skull looked bored and uninterested, showing some kind of enjoyment only when the ally was punished. She stood up before her father could land another paw on the tom and stepped closer to her friend. He looked up and saw her, light flashing through his yellow pools.

     The look she received from her father still sent shivers down her spine, even after she'd seen it for moons. Every time she missed a catch or failed to kill one of his enemies, she'd get the same treatment as the pathetic tom at her paws did. Scolding and beatings only to return to her siblings with a warm and caring smile - it almost sounded like a kit's tale.