Chapter 8

"I'm going to ask this one more time, but do not make me talk to her," Vixen protested, casting a shady look behind her shoulder. "If I have to hear her spew nonsense one more time I might have to use force." The she-cat barred her fangs just as another one of Serval's outbursts rang in the camp, causing a loud groan to sweep over them. Hurricane pressed her ears to her skull, wishing that Lightning and Wasp weren't around as they both gave her smirks.

     Each cat had gone through their fair share of guarding her little sister, no matter how loud and rebellious the cat was. Lightning spent a few moments with her before ditching the shift and returning to Hurricane's side to discuss plans or ideas on how a world where perfection and imperfection could exist - to which he heartily suggested ridding the Tribe of Shining Suns. All of those ideas were shut down as she continued to stall, trying to come up with an idea that didn't involve the eradication of a tribe.

     While Wildfire wished unrelentingly that she would be allowed to spend the night with Serval, Wasp and Fern were quick to stop her so the tiny she-cat wouldn't meet her end just yet. Sheer offered but Lightning threw out a random mission or patrol - she couldn't remember - and the tom left without complaint. Avoiding her sister the day after they captured her seemed like a reasonable move to her, but she knew the only cat in the hidden camp the sharp-mouthed she-cat would listen to was her.

     Hurricane swallowed and dismissed Vixen, who let out a long sigh of relief as she strode away.

     "I don't get why you want to convert a cat like her," the silver she-cat growled, looking at her paws. "You're the only cat from that tribe I've ever heard of that was strong enough to break free of their chains."

     "Thank you for the compliment," Hurricane said with a dip of her head.

     "Now what? Are you just going to laze around camp all day, stalling your big plan even longer, or are you going to talk to your sister?" Lightning prompted, impatient. "Wasting time is only making both tribes grow stronger, you know. You can't wait forever."

     "I know that," she hissed. "It's just I don't know what to do."

     "You may not like my suggestions," murmured Wasp, shuffling his paws. "But if you really wanted to make a world where we can all live together... I don't really think kidnapping cats and trying to talk to them is going to work. I remember stories my mother told me about how there was an ancient tribe or group of cats that tried that tactic. Look where that got them. Forgotten in history."

     When I really think about things, I don't think Serval's on the top of the list. She's capable of escaping so that's why we need at least one cat with her at all times, even when she's sleeping. Our plan didn't go too well and Arrow escaped. That's not going to go well with the new Alpha, she thought, her pelt pricking with worry about her younger brother. He could've been killed for that mistake, and there's no way he's going rogue.

     "Perhaps you should talk to her," her mind whispered.

     I don't need any advice right now, Hurricane thought, her fur rising. Lightning and Wasp raised an eyebrow at her and she quickly let her fur fall, throwing a fake, reassuring look on her face.

     "I'll try, but there's no guarantee." Hurricane shut her eyes and walked into the den holding her sister, hoping to get away from both toms. She didn't hear Wasp's warning and just as she opened her eyes again, her head smashed face-first into the wall, making her world spin. Her paws tumbled back and hit a lumpy surface, Lightning's scent flooding over her.

     Of course, she thought, hiding her sigh. How can Lightning shut his eyes and walk away without running into something? Please don't tell me he figured out I was trying to mimic him.