Chapter 17

"I'm so sorry, Serval," Hurricane apologized, refusing to look at her sister's broken face. Wasp fidgeted in place as Serval processed the information, split between lashing out and crying, attacking blindly until her rage settled. The muddy-brown she-cat breathed heavily, claws destroying the nest that Lightning had repaired.

Then she scowled and muttered, "You're lying. This can't be true. You just want me to join you and you'll use whatever ruthless tactics you can get your paws on to make me! I'm my own cat, Hurricane! I make my choices and whatever feather-brained stuff you're telling me is a lie!"

"I---"

"Shut up!" she screamed and lunged across the tiny den, to Wasp's surprise.

Hurricane's back smashed against the wall as Serval pinned her down, thorn-like claws sinking into her shoulders as the she-cat howled, lashing out. Her back claws raked down her underbelly and she flinched, pulling her legs up to keep the lethal blades from her body. The hunter screamed and continued to slash, attacks becoming blind as scarlet liquid flowed out of her.

She tried to endure the burning scars and wounds, but eventually, Hurricane yowled and Serval's fury spilled, continually attacking as she shouted. Wasp took a step forward but the moment the brown she-cat whirled around, her paw flying out and catching him in the cheek, the golden tom stumbled back, gray eyes wide with horror. Her sister panted and looked at her bloody paw, baring her teeth.

"Did you think this was going to be easy? I mean, you were just as bad," her mind reminded, each snide comment she had said to Firestorm or Blizzard coming back and striking her in the stomach.

Don't talk to me right now! Now's not the right time! she snapped, hushing the voice. Hurricane looked at Serval, eyes trembling at the sight of her sister's enraged look, determined to bite into her neck and rip her life from her paws. The hunter's claws dug into her flesh further and she grimaced, trying to break out without claws stabbing her.

Then she felt something fall on her neck, something cold and small.

Hurricane froze as color began to return into her sister's blue eyes, the fire dying out as waves came rushing in, extinguishing the hate. Serval's grip was still iron, refusing to let her prey go, but confliction stabbed her, making her pause - for reasons she didn't know. Unsure if talking would erase the battle, she stayed silent, waiting for a response, even if it would take all night.

From the corner of her eyes, she spotted Fern and Freckle standing in the doorway, worriedly looking at the two she-cats. Hurricane twitched her tail, telling them they could leave. Wasp crawled out of the den and the spotted she-cat rushed over, letting the tom lean on her as she directed him away.

The black she-cat didn't move and entered the den, staring at Serval with wide, green eyes. Hurricane hissed, warning the tiny cat. Fern didn't listen and sat in the corner, her body disappearing in the shadows except for her eyes, watching the interaction, waiting for signs of resistance.

"It's... that was my home, do you understand what it's like to lose it?!" snapped Serval, gripping her tightly. "Everything I worked for was there and now it's gone! You wouldn't understand a thing!"

"How do you think I felt when I had to le---"

"Because you were always an Imperfect! I'm not! All Eagle said was I can't go back just because I entered this territory! That's not fair!" Serval roared, ripping away from Hurricane, tail lashing as a growl escaped her throat. "And there's no way to enter, is there?!"

"They won't see you as---"

"What am I even saying?!" Serval snarled, slamming herself into the wall of the den, making Fern shudder. "Me, Serval of the Tribe of Shining Suns, asking an Imperfect for help! This place's worse than I thought. The longer I stay the worse I'll get!"