Words on a Wrist

Soulmate and University AU

The first words your soulmate said to you was written on your wrist. Some people were near tortured with a simple word like "Hey" written on their wrists. Heart skipping a beat everytime they were greeted.

But Blitzen was different, his wrist was blank and no matter how well he hid it he was worried his blank wrist meant he had no soulmate.
The mark was always a topic of discussion, both when you first met someone and every single time you ran into them, just to get the updates. And most people loved it, showing off their wrist with pride and getting a boost of hope each time it was mentioned but
Blitzen always tried to avoid it. The moment he told them he had nothing the mood of the converstion plummeted. People often asked if he'd checked his whole body incase it was hidden, which of course he had done, a million times over.

Once again he found himself glancing at his wrist, the people at the table next to him were discussing what they had. He sighed, picked at the last of his food and left the canteen. It wasn't sunny out but it was still day so he had a sun visor on to stop himself turning to stone, thankfully he was in unversity for fashion design so no one questioned his bizarre fashion choices.
He was headed for an arts and crafts shop for fabric. It was proving difficult to try and make just an item of clothing that didn't double as something else- according to his professor if the instructions didn't say so, not to do it. Which defeats the point of being creative. But creative differences didn't matter, all that mattered was getting the project done.

And he got it done, he got many projects done throughout the year and found it quite enjoyable, nevermind how annoying that one professor was. It was the beginning of his second year in university and people were milling about and having food. Blitzen had spend the day unpacking all his things and he wasn't in the mood for conversation so he searched for a free table. There was none but there was one with a blonde near the window and the blonde seemed far more interested in his phone than anything else so Blitzen settled in on the other side of the table, a bit away from the blonde.

It wasn't even five minutes before he found himself compelled to talk to the boy. He had goregous bone structure and, not that Blitzen was being weird or anything but, the guy smelt like pine trees and who doesn't love the smell of pine? He clearly wasn't studying anything fashion because that outfit was completely wrong for his complextion. Aside from all of that, he was drawn to the blonde's eyes- almost grey and so sad.

He inched closer to him so they were across from each other but he still didn't look up from his phone.
"Why the long face, buddy?" No response and after a moment or two the other looked up at him, figuring he wasn't going away and he was now forced to have a conversation.
He fixed Blitzen with a look that showed he hadn't been listening and so Blitzen repeated himself. The other watching his lips in silence for a moment before frowning, blinking, and pulling the sleeve of his leather jacket up to show Blitzen what was written there.

"Why the long face, buddy?"

He should have been excited but he wasn't, he was panicking. Did he not have a soulmate but this poor guy got him as his soulmate? That wasn't fair, sure he liked the guy but attraction and soulmates are completely different and-
A click of the fingers brought his attention back to the boy. He was frowning and pointing to Blitzen's wrist. He sighed, showing him.
"There's nothing there." He didn't want to look at the other, not wanting to see him realise that his soulmate had no one. But his expression, which had been near blank this whole time, changed into a small smile. And that was when he tapped a finger to his ears.

Blitzen did have a soulmate after all, he just didn't talk.