01

"Yes, mumma, I have his address. What? No! He's not a creep, I'm sure. He's a freaking Oberoi, mumma! Yes, I know that doesn't validate his personality, but he's Prinku's brother, okay? That should be assurance enough."

Sighing as her mother went on and on about how worried she was, Annika put the phone on speaker and carried on packing her bags. It was only while clearing out her room that she realized how much stuff she had, and although there was barely any space left in her suitcases or cardboard boxes, she was a hoarder who refused to part even with the towel hook she hadn't used the entire year.

"Might need it next semester," She mumbled to herself, before dropping it into one of the open boxes.

"Anni, are you listening to me?"

"Yes mumma," Annika called out, her voice muffled by the top she suddenly felt like trying out.

"We're worried about you, Anni," Annika heard her mother sigh. "If only you could come back home."

"Ah, if only," Annika muttered indignantly. "Or better yet, if only I could finish my semester normally."

It had all happened too fast. One moment the students of the University of Toronto were going about their daily lives, stressing over assignments and relishing in the fact that winter was finally over. The very next, the world was threatened by a pandemic that forced universities, offices, and entire nations to shut down. In an attempt to maintain social distancing and prevent the spread of Covid-19, the residence of UofT asked all the students to kindly leave the dorms and perhaps go back home. Unfortunately for Annika, all flights flying back to India had already been canceled, as India had decided to close its borders given the drastic rise in infected citizens. Unlike most of her friends who were still able to return home, Annika had been at a loss. She had nowhere to go, and her parents were reluctant to let her rent an apartment and stay alone. It was then that Annika's school bestie, Priyanka had come to the rescue. Although she herself was going to college in Mumbai, she mentioned that her elder cousin was currently in Toronto, working on some business deal. He too had gotten stuck there due to the pandemic and had rented a condo for his stay, and Priyanka suggested that Annika stay with him. Annika was hesitant to ask her parents if they would allow her to stay with a boy, that too a complete stranger. However, they were assured by the fact that she would at least be living with someone. Prinku had then asked her brother, he had said yes, and here Annika was—packing to leave her college for the semester.

After talking to her mother for a while more, Annika hung up and sat down on her bed. Looking outside the window, she could see the beautiful flowers that adorned the garden outside. It was mid-March now, and after a dreadful winter, spring had just emerged. This was Annika's favorite time of the year, but everything had gone haywire in a matter of a few days. She had had to bid a hasty goodbye to her friends as they left, and was now getting ready to stay with her best friend's brother who she had only seen from afar a couple of times when she had gone to visit Oberoi Mansion.

The next morning, Annika stood outside Shivaay Singh Oberoi's condo. She had been absolutely awe-struck by the building but wasn't surprised—the Oberois were filthy rich. Still, she had double-checked to make sure that this was indeed the address Prinku had sent her. Taking a deep breath, Annika clutched the handle of the suitcase she had brought with her, having left all other stuff in a locker on campus. She raised her other hand to ring the doorbell, her heart thumping fast in anticipation. As far as she remembered, Prinku's eldest cousin had always been a very serious, intimidating sort of guy, and Annika would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous.

Here goes nothing, she thought as the door opened to reveal the guy she would be spending her quarantine days with.  

A/N: Hey everyone! I have finals going on right now but I managed to write this chapter sometime last week and decided to publish it. However, the next update will come when I am done with this semester for good (2 weeks, max!). Please be patient till then, and leave votes and comments! 💕  I hope you will enjoy this story.