07

Annika was sleeping in that Monday morning. Classes were over for the semester and Annika had slept late the previous night, preparing for finals. She woke up to an incoming video call from her mom.

"Hi mumma," Annika mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning Anni. Sleeping so late?"

"Yeah, I was studying till 3."

"Annika," Her mother said in a chiding tone, "I told you na, beta? Sleep on time at night and wake up early. That is when your mind is most active and you can get the best studying done."

"You know na, ma, me waking up early is like the 8th wonder of the world," Annika removed her comforter and stood up to stretch her limbs. "Anyway, what's up?"

"Nothing, we're just about to sleep. Sahil is asleep already. He wanted to call you before sleeping but I thought you might not be awake."

Annika nodded sadly. The worst part about staying away from home was the difference in time zones. Not only could you not meet your family, but you couldn't even talk to them on the phone whenever you pleased.

"Here, talk to papa," Annika's mom passed the phone to her dad, who had just come out of the washroom after changing for bed. Annika smiled. She was her dad's princess.

"Hey there sweetu," He greeted, making Annika scrunch her nose. Her father had a habit of coming up with weird nicknames for her. "Why are you awake so early?"

"I was supposed to sleep in, but your dear wife woke me up," Annika complained. She walked out into the hallway to start making breakfast. She and Shivaay had very different tastes in food and so usually cooked their meals separately. To her surprise, she found Shivaay having breakfast in the dining hall. It was later than his usual breakfast time.

"Oh hey," Shivaay looked up from reading the newspaper on his phone. "I made paranthas for breakfast today, so I made some for you as well. Thought you would like them."

"Is that Shivaay?" Annika had almost forgotten that her dad was still on call. She looked at him and nodded. Her parents had asked Annika multiple times to make them talk to Shivaay so that they could thank him for hosting her. Annika had been too embarrassed to do so and had always made the excuse that he was busy. Which he usually was. Now, however, there was no escape.

"Let us talk to him, Anni," Her mother's head propped up on the screen again. Annika sighed and sent a prayer upwards. Having your parents talk to the guy you had a slight crush on was not an ideal situation. She cleared her throat.

"Um, Shivaay," She started. "My parents wanted to talk to you."

"Oh, sure," Shivaay said. "Is it a video call?"

"Yeah. Here you go."

Passing the phone to Shivaay, Annika saw him smile at her parents and greet them with a namaste. For some reason, she couldn't bring herself to stay there and moved towards the kitchen the get a plate. She could barely hear them from here, but could make out some of the words, which were mostly formal 'thank you's and 'no problem's. Thankfully, by the time Annika returned, Shivaay was passing back the phone to her. She went back to her room to finish talking to them.

"Happy now?" Annika asked, annoyed.

"Very," Her mother beamed. "You didn't tell us Shivaay was so handsome. So chivalrous, too."

"Mumma!" Annika chided.

"Just saying," Her mother shrugged. "Your father is not pleased. He doesn't like the fact that you're staying with such an eligible bachelor."

"It's nothing like that," Her dad grumbled. "And anyway, Annika is not old enough to start dating."

"She will never be old enough if left up to you," Her mother rebuked. Annika sighed. Sometimes, her parents could be a little too chill about such things.

"If you guys are done fighting, can I hang up? Shivaay has made paranthas and I want to eat them before they go cold."

"Yes yes, go eat," Her mother replied. "I will call you when I wake up."

Giving her parents a flying kiss, Annika hung up. She joined Shivaay for breakfast who gave her a smile. The paranthas were absolutely delicious and she told him so.

"Thanks," He said. "By the way, your parents are really nice."

Annika only nodded, smiling to herself as she wondered if she should tell him that her mother was smitten by him. After all, the mother-daughter duo had very similar taste in men.