02

Hello peeps! My finals are finally over, and even my grades are out. I have literally nothing to do all day except deal with a perpetual headache that just won't leave me alone. But anyway, here you go with the update; I'll try to be more regular from now on, but no promises because a) lack of motivation and b) headache :(

 But anyway, here you go with the update; I'll try to be more regular from now on, but no promises because a) lack of motivation and b) headache :(

It was mid-afternoon on a Saturday, and Annika was lazing around in her room with nothing better to do. Sure, she had heaps of readings to complete but after a heavy Indian lunch she had ordered from a restaurant nearby, she was too drowsy to concentrate. While scrolling through Instagram, Annika got an incoming call from her best friend, Priyanka.

"You're supposed to be asleep," Annika said as she picked up, without any greeting. She could almost feel Prinku rolling her eyes.

"Yeah well, it's Sunday tomorrow so I don't need to sleep. But tell me, how are you, Anni? I know we talked just a few days back, but I need to know how you're dealing with living with Shivaay bhaiya."

"Oh well," Annika shrugged, "It's just been a week, so I can't say a lot. He mostly stays in his room, working on his laptop or barking instructions on the phone all the way to India."

"Yeah, that's bhaiya," Priyanka giggled. "But do you guys not talk? It must be awkward otherwise."

"Well, I did try talking to him," Annika replied. "But he always replies in monosyllables, so I've given up now. Tell me, Prinku, is your brother always so obnoxious? I mean no offense, but the dude doesn't even smile! I feel like a tenant in this place. In fact, I'm even considering paying him rent."

"You'll do no such thing," Prinku rebuked. "Look, I'll be honest. Bhaiya wasn't entirely elated at the idea of having someone stay with him, you know? Especially a stranger. He likes having his own space."

"Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" Annika groaned. "I feel so uninvited now, thanks."

"I'm sorry," Priyanka sounded genuinely apologetic. "But you needed a place to stay and, well, it wasn't so difficult to convince bhaiya. I just had to threaten to go without food for a day."

"Gee, that helps, thanks," Annika rolled her eyes. Priyanka sighed.

"All of that aside, bhaiya is actually really sweet, okay? It just takes him some time to open up to strangers."

"I can tell," Annika snorted. "I don't really mind all that, but I just wish he wasn't so obsessed with cleanliness, you know. Just yesterday, I left my plate on the dining table for a while, thinking I'll go and talk to my mom before washing it. The dude went ahead and washed it for me, and also made sure to tell me to 'not leave my plates unwashed for long'!"

To her surprise, Priyanka only laughed.

"Prinku!"

"I'm sorry," Priyanka wheezed, "It's just, dadi and I were just talking about it today, wondering how you're dealing with his hygiene obsession, especially considering how messy you tend to be."

"I'm not messy," Annika grumbled.

"Sure you're not," Priyanka chuckled, before letting out a yawn. "Listen, I really should sleep now. But let me know if you have any problem, okay? And also, do consider talking to bhaiya if something about him bothers you. Trust me, he's really very sweet. You'd be in a for a surprise when you see his other side. Good night."

Hanging up, Annika could only mumble to herself:

"Well, I can't wait to be surprised."

I know there isn't any Shivika in this update, but just needed to set up a bit of premise before continuing