08

Annika's stress level was at a peak during finals week. This happened every semester; she would forgo food and sleep, survive on coffee, and would go downright crazy before exams. However, unlike other semesters, this time she didn't even have the excitement of returning back home soon. Currently, Annika was wandering around the house at 12 am, trying to find a good spot to study. She heard Shivaay's bedroom door open and jumped in fear.

"Why are you still up?" Annika asked, palm pressed against her pounding heart. "What happened to falling asleep by 10?"

Shivaay rolled his eyes. "I was sleeping, but I forgot to take water and woke up thirsty. What are you up to?" He asked, pouring water into a jug from the tap.

"I'm looking for a place to study. If I study in my room, I end up falling asleep."

Shivaay laughed at that, before clearing his throat seeing Annika's glare.

"Why don't you go to sleep now and wake up early to study?" He suggested. Annika frowned.

"What are you, my mom?"

"Just a suggestion," Shivaay shrugged. "But hey, you can use my study room."

Annika looked up, surprised. Shivaay's study was like a sacred place. He used it for online meetings, and any other office work too important to be done in a bedroom.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," Shivaay replied. "It's a nice place to get work done. Besides, it's not like I'll be using it right now." Annika nodded.

"Thanks," She mumbled. Shivaay gave her a smile, the kind that had begun to make Annika's heart leap. She made her way towards his study cum office and turned on the lights. The room had a warmth to it, the kind you find in old libraries. There was a hint of coffee in the air. Annika smiled. Shivaay and his obsession with espresso. Taking a seat in his large leather armchair, Annika set out her laptop and notes and got to studying. Shivaay was right—this was the perfect spot to study. She had been there for 15 minutes when there was a knock on the door, and Shivaay entered.

"Since you've decided to study for the night," He said, setting down a mug on the table in front of her, "I thought of making you coffee. I know you don't like strong coffee, but trust me, this will help you. It helped me get through finals when I was in college."

To say Annika was surprised would be an understatement. She stared at the coffee, steam rising out of it in straight lines, and then back at Shivaay.

"This is...really nice of you."

"It was nothing," Shivaay said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "Anyway, good luck. Study hard." Giving her a nod, Shivaay retreated to his room. Annika, beaming, picked up the cup of coffee and held it close to her chest. She took small sips throughout the night, uncaring that it grew cold but just wanting to savor its taste for as long as possible. Somehow, the fact that she wasn't going back home for vacation didn't seem to bad anymore.