09

Closing the lid of her MacBook, Annika leaned against the headrest of her bed. Her last exam was tomorrow, and she couldn't wait to get done with this semester. Unfortunately, tomorrow's exam was on her least favorite subject: Econometrics. She was doing a minor in Economics to help with her event management firm in the future, which was what she wanted to pursue. Math and Annika were never good friends but fortunately, she had found a tutor for herself in an unlikely place. Seeing her fussing over her book one day, Shivaay had offered to help her in studying for Economics. He himself had done his bachelor's and master's on the subject and was a very good tutor as Annika found out. He had patiently explained all the concepts to her over a span of two days, and Annika was currently doing some last-minute revision before hitting the bed. Wanting to clarify an equation before Shivaay fell asleep, Annika went out of her room in search of him. His bedroom was empty, and after some looking, she found him in the balcony connected to the living room. He was staring out into the city night, deep in thought.

"Shivaay?"

Shivaay turned around, surprised. He had changed into his nightclothes and looked slightly disturbed.

"Oh, hey," He said. "What's up?"

Annika came to stand beside him, placing her arms on the railing. Shivaay was clearly worried about something and so this wasn't the right time to bring up a stupid math problem.

"Nothing much, just wanted to say goodnight before bed," Annika lied. "What are you up to?"

Shivaay shrugged his shoulders. "Just getting some fresh air, I guess."

"Shivaay, are you okay?" Annika asked him tentatively. They weren't the best of friends but their change in equation had at least given Annika the liberty to ask if he was worried about something. She cared about him deeply, and his sudden change in demeanor was making her anxious. "You seem a little disturbed."

Shivaay took a deep breath but didn't reply.

"It's okay," Annika started, "I understand if you don't want to talk about it. But I'm sure whatever it is you're worried about, will be alright."

Shivaay looked at her at that, his expression reflecting something akin to amazement. Annika smiled at him; a smile full of hope.

"I don't know if you know this, Annika," Shivaay spoke after a while, turning to look back at the city again, "but I have a very dysfunctional family."

Annika stayed silent. She did know this. There wasn't anything she and Prinku didn't share with each other. Well, barring her on-going crush on Shivaay, which was something she hadn't been able to bring up with her best friend yet. How do you tell your best friend that you like their brother, anyway?

"All these years," Shivaay continued, "I've tried to shield my cousins from whatever fucked up shit the elders are usually up to. Whether it be bade papa-badi ma's relationship, my own mother's greediness – everything."

Annika's eyes moistened. She knew how Shivaay had stepped in to play a parent figure in Prinku and Om-Ru's lives, but to have him share it with her, his voice full of raw emotion...

"And now, there they are, all alone with those elders who don't give a shit about us. They're locked up at home, having to deal with endless drama every day. I can't even do anything, Annika. I can't go back home and cook their favorite dishes, put Rudra and Prinku to sleep while Om and I try to drown out the shouts coming from the hall room..."

"Shivaay," Annika whispered. She placed her hand over Shivaay's on the railing, tears running down her cheeks.

"None of my wealth is of any use to me at this moment," Shivaay laughed sardonically. "All I can do is hope and pray that for once in their lives, our parents can keep their own shit to themselves."

There was silence after Shivaay finished. Annika didn't know what to say, and she wouldn't be able to say the words if she did. When Shivaay finally cooled down, he turned around and was surprised to find her crying.

"Hey," He cupped her cheeks, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I'm so sorry." Annika shook her head and wiped away her tears with the back of her palms.

"I'm sorry," She said, her voice slightly raspy. "I had no idea what you were going through."

"It's okay," Shivaay smiled. "Besides, having you around helps."

Annika looked at him, startled. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you know," He shrugged. "I'm usually so amused or enraged by your stupid antics, that I'm able to forget about my other concerns for a while."

Annika's mouth fell open. "Haw, what do you mean?" She snapped. "Are you calling me an idiot?"

"I think I said stupid, not idiot," Shivaay corrected her with a straight face. When Annika hit his chest, he burst into laughter.

"Calm down, tigress," Shivaay laughed, trying to get her to stop punching him. "Okay, okay, I was kidding." He said his hands in surrender. Annika narrowed her eyes at him.

"You better have been," She stated. Shivaay smiled at her, his expression so endearing it made Annika's heart flutter.

"But I was serious when I said having you around helps, Annika," He said honestly. "I know I was initially a dick to you, but if I had to live here alone or even with anyone else, I would have gone crazy."

Annika was rendered speechless once again that night. But this time, instead of not doing anything, she stood on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck, taking him into a hug. She could tell Shivaay was surprised, but not more than her. She didn't know where she had gotten the courage to hug her crush like that.

"I'm thankful to have you here, as well," She mumbled into his shoulder. A second later, she felt Shivaay relax and wrap his arms around her waist. As they stood like that for a while, all Annika could think of was that if there was a heaven, it was right here in her arms.