Memory 10

Gii's dad was the first to talk in the ceremony. Indeed, it was boring just like what Gii told him. There were a thousand freshmen in the huge hall, differed according to their major's uniform but some of the students wore their casual clothes. Now that San thought about it, everyone in Gii's group doesn't wear school uniform but Zen and Gii.

"Let's go." Zen suddenly said when San's eyes were about to close as he became sleepy just like the other students. The students are now descending but San and Zen are going to the other direction. The teacher was still rumbling about the tour as Zen and San weaved through the busy crowd of freshmen.

"Hurry up!" Zen shouted ahead of San.

San was in trouble keeping pace with Zen for students counter his direction. "Wait! You monster!" San shouted back.

Zen couldn't wait for more so he went back for San and grabbed San by his wrist as he dragged him out of the hall.

San's wrist became red from Zen's grip. He touched it using his other hand as he complained to Zen, "Can't you be a little gentler sometimes?!"

"Good for you." Zen smirked. It was just a slight curve in the mouth, but San considered it a smile.

"Woi! Woi!" he ran after the now walking Zen towards the other five.

"I saw it! You smiled! You smiled!" San rejoiced.

"Oy. San. What are you shouting for?" Theo greeted him.

"Did you see it?! Zen smiled! He did right?!" San repeated.

"You're insane." Zen just shook his head.

"Gii, you saw it right?!" San turned to Gii. "Right Gii?" he held Gii by her shoulders, but Gii didn't respond. "Oy. Gii!" San shook Gii harder. "Are you mad at me? Sorry. I'm sorry! Ahhhhhhhh."

"Why? What's wrong Gii?" Fai asked, confused; but Gii just shrugged.

"Gii! Oy.. I'm sorry." San was then already hugging Gii, but Gii pushed San away.

"Gii! I am really s—"

"STOP!" It was Zen who stopped San from talking, but a strong command gave San a chill to his bones, telling him not to bug Gii anymore.

"I'm sorry." San just pouted and started to walk away.

"Oy. San! Where are you going?" Four ran after him.

"San. My bag is with you. Don't make me angry for the fifth time today." But San was still feeling guilty about Gii, so he went back to Zen and gave Zen's bag back.

"Your book is in there. I'll just go and get a bite at the canteen. See you later." San forced a smile.

"San. I'm telling you. If you ever—" Zen started, but Gii grabbed his arm.

"San." It was Gii.

"I'm sorry Gii. I'm new to this university. It's just normal for me to get excited about the tour right?"

Then the silent Jey yelled. "Fck! All of this fuss just because of that damn tour?!"

"Yeah." Gii whispered. "Look. If you really want to have a tour. We'll give it to you. We're far better than those teachers there after all." Gii smiled.

"No way!" Zen contradicted.

"Zenziiiiiiiiiiiiiin!" San tried to mimic Zen's authoritative voice, but it was awkward coming from him.

The whole group broke into laughter except Zen who in a swish movement threw his bag back at San, "Don't think of doing it again." Upon turning his back to San and the gang, then finally, without warning, Zen smiled when his back was facing San and the gang. It occurred to Zen that for the first time in years, he finally conjured a genuine smile from someone who he doesn't know a lot.

The gang treaded to every hallway that San hasn't been to yet. The school was gigantic that a day of walking would exhaust them without even scoring half of the entire school. Centers, halls, gyms, and skyscrapers tower the school area.

"Is this really a university? Why are there so many buildings here?" San questioned.

San found out that the building that he was lost at yesterday was where Four, Jey, and Fai's classroom is, while Theo's in the east side of the university. The university actually has two departments: high school and college.

"I'm tired." Fai said as the group was walking in the wide central ground.

Immediately, Zen drew a handkerchief out of his pockets and offered it to Fai. "Are you okay? Hey mouse!" He called to San while still feeling worried of Fai.

"Yes master?" San asked as soon as he got near the two.

"Buy a bottle of water." San saw how tired Fai was, so without a second thought, he ran to a direction that he picked randomly. The other four who saw where San's going called after him saying "San! That's not where the canteen is!"

Upon hearing Theo's voice, San abruptly stopped and realized where he's heading, "oh. Yeah. Right." Then he ran to the other direction.

"One bottled water please!" San shouted as he gasped.

The staff handed him his order and asked for the bill, but San didn't have money with him, so he returned the water right away.

San once again ran for his life towards the group.

"Where is the damn water?!" Zen yelled.

"Ahm. Ah. I forgot to ask for money. Hehe." San said, feeling embarrassed.

"Man! How poor are you, really?! It's just a water! A fcking water!"

"I'm sorry." San apologized, feeling guilty for the second time on a different reason once again.

"Zen. Relax. Let me go take it. San's more exhausted than Fai now." Jey offered.

"No. It's fine! Just give me the money." San smiled. This could make Fai appreciate me. He thought.

"No. I'll go." Then Jey dashed off.

"Jey! Don't run! Fai's not going to die yet." Four shouted after him.

Jey stopped and swiftly bowed to Four, then slowly walked.

"Oy Four. You really are into him, aren't you?" Gii teased Four.

"What?! No way!" Four denied.

The gang ended in the cafeteria for all of them (including San) was so tired.

The wind gusts slowly through the oblique glassless windows of the cafeteria. It was deserted for the freshmen were still in the tour while the higher level students were in their respective classes. It was great for them, San was already getting used to the environment. The luxurious texture of the black bricked-walls outlined the room. San missed the feeling.

"Are you okay now Fai?" San asked as Fai and the others were munching their snacks.

"Yeah. Thanks San. Do you want some? Here." Fai smiled so brightly that San didn't hear her last word, leaving him staring at Fai who was then offering a chocolate cake to San.

"You're drooling San." San snapped out of his dreams as soon as Four's words disturbed him.

"Huh? Oh. No thanks. I'm still full. He he." At that very moment, San's inside growled like a monster.

"Here. Take this. Open your mouth." Fai insisted but San just couldn't take being fed by Fai.

After a number of tries, Fai finally persuaded San. He opened his mouth just a little as Fai's fork with a bit of cake gets near it. "Can you, ahm, make it wider?" Fai asked shyly.

"Ah, yeah, He he" San obeyed.

Once again, Fai's fork is within his mouth's reach, but at the very instant that the fork is about to enter San's mouth, a pair of chopsticks protruded instantly from it. It was Zen. It was Zen who got annoyed to San's actions towards Fai, so he pushed his sushi towards San's mouth just before Fai's did.

Instantly, he threw it out then bellowed, "Fck! I hate seafoods!"