Memory 19

The sky was already murky when San went out to find Zen in the garden. Tiny raindrops were remarkable on the leaves of the bonsais that encircled Zen's tensed body.

San was scrutinizing Zen's back for whole ten minutes already before realizing that Zen wasn't moving at all. So was he, he didn't do anything but stare at Zen's back. He couldn't make himself approach Zen. He didn't know what to tell him. He didn't know how to say that he was sorry, because he was not. How could he feel sorry just because of a silly game? Was it just a silly game though?

Zen drew a cigar from his pocket and began smoking. He needed to free his mind from what happened upstairs, and the haven of bonsais in Four's garden gave him just the right place. He knew that it was weird for his heart to beat that way, especially for a man, most especially for San.

He has heard of this moment a million times from girls who recall the scenes that they've watched in movies, like Gii; but the thing is: it's weird. Gii said that your heart would beat that way when you found the right one for you. That moment when everything suddenly stops moving like time has been frozen in front of your eyes and your love one is within your eyes' reach. But he has broken the spell when the right key to stop the spell is on its way to his lips. He lifted the spell out of him on his own. He pushed San away, and he knows that it was the right thing to do.

Zen didn't know that San was watching him intently with his eyes searching for the words to say to Zen, but Zen's back offered nothing.

"I'm sorry." was the only thing that San has mumbled after ten minutes of thinking.

Zen turned towards San whose face is slacked down, making his chin almost touch his upper chest. Zen saw how sad San's face was giving out, and he hated it. He stood and threw the cigar away and walked towards San.

The cold hands of Zen were warm again, warm enough to free San's moping. Using his right hand, Zen lifted San's chin and levelled his eyes with San's own eyes.

"Our deal is off right?" He asked the still sad San. Putting both of his palms on San's cheeks to warm up San.

San nodded as confirmation, but wondered why on earth Zen asked him that.

Zen answered San with a smile.

"Is that smile...real?" San shyly asked him.

Zen smiled even more, agreeing with San's words, "And you're the reason of this smile." Zen added then tapped San's head and brushed his hair softly lik a kitten.

" Zen added then tapped San's head and brushed his hair softly lik a kitten

"Come on, you still owe me a meal." Then, again, another Zen wrapped his hand on San's neck and dragged him away, out of Four's house.

The two drove out of Four's place and drove until the night finally warped their world into darkness. They settled on a restaurant near the school. Why school? They don't know as well how they got there. Zen just unconsciously drove until he got themselves near the school and stopped in a very inviting restaurant.