Chapter 40

The contractions were killing you. You were a week and a half past your due date and this kid was making life really bad. It didn't help that Benny was at practice games every other night.

Tonight however it really sucked, because the contractions were getting to six minutes apart, and you couldn't contact Benny about meeting you at the hospital until his game was over.

You couldn't drive yourself, your were in too much pain. You called the only person you knew could help you.

You dragged yourself over to the landline, dialing the numbers as fast as you could.

"Hello?"

"Hey man, is there any way you could drive me to the hospital?" You tried to sound as calm as possible, but the question was anything but.

"The hospital?? Where's Benny?!?" He asked, freaking out a small bit as he spoke.

"He's finishing up another pre season game. I can't call him until seven." You replied, glancing over at the clock and seeing that it was still only 6:13.

"I'll be there in ten minutes, can you wait that long?" He asked you, the sound of keys rattling coming over the line in your ear.

"Yeah I think so." You said, slowing your breathing as best you could before another contraction hit.

"Alright I'm on my way."

-

It was more like eight minutes before Ham got there, the boy must've been speeding like there was no tomorrow.

Now that you were on your way to the hospital, you felt a rush of both excitement and anxiety.

Sure it was one thing to carry this kid, but to have it out in the open and breathing and actually living? That was a whole nother ball game. You and Benny - especially Benny - had been reading up on those parenting books. He was so convinced you were gonna be a great mother, but you just weren't sure. You had this mentality about you that almost seemed immature. You didn't know if that would be the motherly type of mindset you should have or not.

Benny on the other hand, if he was nervous about any of this, he sure was good at hiding it. He had you convinced he was totally cool, and ready for anything. He had just wanted this so bad, now he was gonna do anything to make it the best he could. He was gonna do his very best to take care of this kid, no matter what.

You and Ham reached the hospital, checking in at the front desk. The nurse showed you both to a room where you were then strapped to a bunch of wires and machines. The doctor came in not too long after the nurse left.

"Hi there sweetie, I'm gonna be your doctor today. I'll be supervising everything from the birth to the day you take your baby home." She came toward you and you shook her hand. She stood looking at your monitors as well as glancing over at Ham a few times.

"Is this the father?" She pulled on some blue latex gloves, getting ready to make her assessments.

Ham snorted at the comment, mentioning something about his 'Supermodel girlfriend' and you chuckled along with the doctor.

"I see. Is the father going to be here for the delivery?" She looked back over at you, her eyes giving your a kind glance as she awaited your answer.

"He better be. He didn't put this kid in me just to miss the delivery." You tried to laugh it off, but then you remembered you didn't even call him yet. "That reminds me, what time is it?"

"It is now 7:02." She said, looking at her watch, which was pushed slightly further up her arm.

"Ham can you go call Benny?" You asked him, and he was all too happy to oblige your request. He nodded before he stood up and walked to the outside hallway, where there were a few phones hanging on the wall.