Chapter 12

India

"Chris…" I said interrupting his train of thought.

He looked at me, sighed and rubbed his hands over his face.

"I understand what you sayin’ India but I need time to think." His words kind of hurt me but I would feel the same way about the situation so I didn’t say anything.

"But even if we can’t be together, I would still want us to be friends. You’re a cool ass girl."

I scrunched up my face at the thought, “But Chris, I don’t want to be—”

The door swung open as Chris and I both jumped up. There stood the assistant principle whom I never really came in contact with. I could tell Chris had from the way they were exchanging looks.

He had motioned us to follow him and I looked at Chris with frightened eyes. I really didn’t need Crystal getting on my ass about this.

We followed him to the front office and made our way into his room.

He sat down and sighed, pulling two referrals out of the desk. I rolled my eyes. As if some piece of paper was supposed to scare me.

"Now Mr. Brown, can you please tell me what you where doing in the janitor’s closet again?”

Chris was just looking at me and I’m over here screaming at him in my head. Like nigga, he’s talking to you and you are digging our hole a lot deeper.

"Well Chris, I guess the maintenance room is your favorite place, huh?" he added. My eyes got wide and all Chris did was chuckle.

"Oh no, we were NOT doing anything. We were just talking," I told him because most likely he thought we were doing something sexual.

The assistant principle shook his head, “Sure, if that’s what you kids call it nowadays.”

My mouth fell ajar and I looked at Chris who just smirked and winked at me. I crossed my arms and sank down in my chair waiting for our punishment.

After a couple minutes of him writing on both of the referrals, he handed one of the pages to us.

"Well, since I didn’t catch y’all doing anything, I’m just going to give you two both detention for a week," I sighed in relief then he stopped dead in his tracks, "Oh, and Chris? Stay out of the janitors closet."

He walked away and as soon as he was out of sight I punched Chris in the arm.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!"

He laughed, “What? I didn’t even do anything.”

"Exactly!"

"Aw, is wittle India scared of a little detention?"

I rolled my eyes and sucked my teeth. Standing up, I flicked him off and walked out of the office.

"You try’na get out of here with me?" I heard the same voice call from behind me.

"Chris, we already got detention. What the hell else are you gonna get me in trouble for?"

"How we gonna get in trouble if we’re not here?"

"That’s ditching school dumbass. Besides, I have a presentation in 4th period that I can’t miss. You wouldn’t want my partner to present all alone now would you?" I pinched his cheeks and walked away.

Hearing him kiss his teeth behind me, I started to giggle quietly.

Coincidentally, the bell rang for us to go to second period just before I was about to walk into class.