Chapter 34

Hunter

I stare in the direction my mom's gone, sighing quietly. I know exactly what's going through her head and it breaks my heart.

Kissing Skye's and Stephanie's heads, I give my little princess to Brian and go after my mother.

"Mom." I say when I enter the room. She's already changed into some sweatpants and a t-shirt, just sitting on the bed quietly.

"I failed you. – she croaks, her voice filled with emotion – I endangered my own child!" She clenches her fists, slumping on the bed with her elbows on her knees. She looks so broken.

Slowly making my way to her, I sit by her side and pull her into my arms. She seems so small and vulnerable right now, not at all like the strong woman that raised me and my brothers.

"Mom, it's okay. You couldn't have known. – I soothe – What's important is that they're gone now. They won't hurt the babies." I feel mom exhale a shaky breath at the mere mention of those people getting Adrian and Stephanie.

"I should've found out about them earlier. I never should've assumed they're gone from my life. I put you and everyone at risk!" She cries out into my chest, clutching onto me. I have to get dad. He's the only one that can help mom. I think when Red whimpers in my head seeing our mother like this.

I keep my mom in a tight hug for a while, letting her calm down and stop trembling. She's really shaken up. I'm about to tell her to get some rest when the door opens and Brian walks in with a worried frown.

"Alpha Jones and his mate already left and the kids are with Skylar and Ruby. Why don't you join them, I'm sure Thea needs some rest." He informs, watching mom with sad eyes.

I sigh quietly and with a kiss on top of mom's head I leave the room.

Brian

"Don't torture yourself over this. This is not your fault." I start, knowing exactly how Thea feels. I've been there, too. Though, in my case, I did actually fail. I couldn't stop my own brother from hurting my mate and my daughter.

"You don't have to try to cheer me up, Brian. I know I fucked up. I should've dealt with those people years ago instead of just assuming they forgot about me. No matter what, I shouldn't have been so careless." Thea seethes quietly.

"Hey, calm down, okay? It's not your fault. I get that the best. – I sit beside her – My brother destroyed my family because I was stupid enough to let him in here. I'll never forgive myself for that. You could at least stop those people from hurting your son and our grandbabies. I couldn't. And it caused me and Skylar everything. So don't beat yourself over this. They're gone. You stopped them." I tell her, feeling my eyes water as I think about everything my little Skye had to go through because of my incompetence.

"Thanks. – Thea glances at me with a half-smile – I'm sorry about getting like this but... I haven't seen those people for over 30 years... They sold me to your brother when I was six and ever since then I've never had any contact with them." She speaks quietly, completely exhausted. And it's not physical fatigue. She's completely drained emotionally.

"Brian, I need a favor. – she suddenly turns serious, making me nervous – I have to find out how those two knew about Hunter and Skye. I don't have a good feeling about this. That's why I need you to keep the kids safe while I look into it."

"You know I will. But, to be honest, I'd rather investigate this thing with you. Two heads are better than one, you know that."

"No, I'll go alone. I'll go back to my pack and talk to Leo about this. Maybe there's some new information. I'll get Aiden, Asher and Grey to help, but I need to know that Hunter, Skye and the babies are okay. Adrian is going through bloodlust and his strength and hunger are pretty much uncontrollable, so he needs Hunter's blood to get through that. I saw the bruises on Adam's face." Thea finishes with a chuckle, making me grin. Adam's face is all purple with countless small handprints from when my grandson slapped him.

"I know you gave your Alpha title to my son, but he needs to protect his family now. I know it's a lot to ask, and it's not my place to ask this of you, but any distraction can be deadly at this point. The fact that those two people knew how to get here is not a coincidence." Thea stares straight into my eyes with pure seriousness. She means business.

"Okay. I'll help with the Alpha work, it's not a problem. But how do you intend to find out what's going on? You said it's been over 30 years since you last saw them. How are you going to find out what they've been up to during that time?" I ask, genuinely curious. It's pretty much impossible to do that, but Thea sounds so confident she's got to have something up her sleeve.

"I can't say. But when there's a will, there's a way." She states, leaving no room for discussion. And I know better than to question the Beast.

"Fine then. – I shrug – You do your thing. I'll take care of everything here. It's as important for me to keep everyone safe as it is for you." I say, getting up and leaving Thea in the room. Just as I'm about to leave the room, I dare a last glance at her, only to find her staring distractedly at the floor as she's lost deep in her thoughts. She's already making a plan.

Without further ado, I go to the living room, where I find my daughter and her mate playing with the kids. Deciding to not disrupt them, I watch them from afar, just enjoying the peace while it lasts.

No one will hurt my family again.

Absolutely no one.