Incident 9: Nothing Happened

Everly got up from the ground after struggling a bit. This feeling was rather familiar to her. The earlier sparks and blasts of the battle kept ringing in her mind. It was a fight unlike she had ever seen in real life before. It was like watching those MMORPG games back in her world.

She got up planning to make a run for it while the two were immersed in their fight. But when she looked up, she saw them both staring at her with very weird expressions. The man looked like he had eaten something very disgusting and was glaring at her like she was the one who fed him that.

Everly smirked at him and said, "What? To think that you thought I couldn't get out of a measly trap like that one. Aren't you underestimating me too much?"

o(╯□╰)o

Seeing her gloat like that, the man felt that the composure he had worked so hard to maintain all his life was about to collapse. How can a measly little girl with no magical ability talk to him like that?

"Shut up weakling! You must have used some trick to get out of it. Don't think too highly of yourself." He hated this girl to the core. He wanted to disfigure her once and for all so he could wipe out that proud look on her. A ball of fire formed in his hand as he prepared to throw it at.

"Not too soon. I'm still here." Mason's low voice came as a powerful aura gushed out of him, making the man feel weak in his legs. Everly as usual remained unaffected by it.

"You don't belong here." His voice carried a chill and a certain iciness. "Go back to where your Race is."

The man felt that he can no longer stay in this place for long. He looked at Mason, straight in the eye and responded, "I'll leave for now. But soon, I will make you regret what you did today. A day will come when our Demon Race shall prevail over the whole world! You will all bow down to us!"

Mason gave him a mocking look,
"Eh So ambitious. You all are planning something big aren't you? Alright, I'll wait...for you to come back for another beating."

The man sneered, a portal the size of a person formed behind him and he disappeared into it. The night went back to its silence. The flowers started to glow again.

Everly sighed in relief. In front of such danger, all she could do was to act brave. It was a good thing she had Mason on her side or else she wouldn't dare to taunt the man so openly. She walked towards Mason, intending to thank him.

"Thanks Buddy! I would have been dead if you hadn't come. It really wasn't my fault you know. It was him who wanted to kill me as if I had mocked his ancestors or something. Why did you let him escape? You should have caught him so I could have beaten him up!" Everly kept talking and didn't notice that Mason's expression getting worse. He flicked on her forehead, hard.

"Oww!"

"You talk too much!" With that he marched back into the forest, completely disregarding her. Everly glared at his back with an indignant expression. Tears had welled up in her eyes due to the pain. She rubbed her forehead and quietly followed behind him. While on the way, she thought of the warning the dangerous man had given to Mason. She looked at his cold face which held no expression.

He doesn't seem too bothered...Well, not my concern.

They soon reached the gate of the house. Mason stopped and looked at her with a grave expression.

"Now, you are going to go and sleep in your room. And don't you dare come out of the room this time, understood?!" He said, although his words seemed like he was reprimanding a child. Everly stiffly nodded while shooting glares at him. He scouted her to he room and closed the door with a bang. Everly was left standing in the large room. She glanced at the clock and it was striking two in the morning. They had been out for two hours. She sighed and went towards the bed

Seeing the soft and cozy blankets, fatigue finally washed down on her. It seemed like tonight's episode had made her very tired. She slipped under the covers and immediately fell asleep.

Soon, the door to her room opened and a black figure quietly walked in. He reached the bed side and looked at the sleeping figure on the bed. Her indignant face from earlier came into his mind. A rare smile came up on his face and he gently shook his head.

He instantly turned serious and raised his hand towards Everly's forehead. Shifting aside the bangs, he drew a strange blue symbol using his powers. He waited for a second and the results came. Though they were not as he had expected. The blue symbol suddenly turned purple and black cracks began to form on it. It suddenly broke apart.

Mason was astonished as a quizzical look came on his face. He looked at Everly, who had started to frown in her sleep, as if she was having an unpleasant dream. Mason gathered back his power and retreated from the room.

"I'll have to talk to Micheal about this."

The magical index symbol, which is supposed to discern one's magical power rank. Whether it be a person with magical energy or a waste, the symbol would change colours accordingly. For a waste who had no magical powers, it would turn colourless. But the symbol reacted very abnormally when used on Everly.

Mason hadn't seen something like this happening ever before but he was now sure of one fact.

This girl isn't simple at all...