Chapter 12

Maeve's POV

I wake up to faces staring at me. I've recently started having my vision blur but now it was more than blur. It was like my eyes were a camera, drifting from clear to blur. Everything was dark and the ground was cold. I sat up.

"Maeve are you alright?" A gentle voice asked.

I looked up confused. It was Teresa!

"Teresa!" I cried.

I hugged everyone as I cried. It made sense. I was kidnapped too. I was shocked to see Aura. Teresa explained how it was just a doll in the video to make us stop looking for her. I looked at a lying body in the corner. I gave them a questioning look.

"Skylee, she's been drugged." Replied Faith, stealing a glance at Skylee's unconscious body.

I just didn't remember how. The last thing I remembered was a knock on my door after getting home from school. And who was behind it.

"Leah?" I asked, wiping my tears.

"Yeah," Sighed Aura. She then smiled and chuckled softly. "Guess we should've listened to you after all."

I smiled. Aura hugged me and started crying. I didn't dare look at any of them. They were all so badly hurt. It hurt to look at them. We all turned to the doorway as we heard some muffled noises. Faith, Aura and Teresa retreated back and started cowering in fright. I watched as a man entered the room with a girl in his clutch. He was holding her by the back of her neck and she was struggling. It looked like she was gagged as she tried to scream.

She was thrown to the ground and then the man left. The girl tried to sit up but her hands were bound. I slowly got up to see who she was. We all looked, too scared to see which one of us was taken next.

The girl had short dark blonde hair with a hint of blue brushed on the ends, reaching just under her shoulders with her dark green eyes glistening with tears. She was fair and very skinny.

We all got up to go and help her. Faith, Aura and Teresa got there first. They already untied her hands and her gag by the time I got to her.

I stood there completely speechless as she started talking to my friends and introduced herself.

"I am Tulsa." She cried, "Can you please tell me where I am? I just want to go home. Please."

She kept crying and begging us for help while Teresa tried comforting her. I still stood there speechless when Tulsa looked up at me. She stopped crying.

"Maeve?" She asked.

"Tulsa." I breathed. I still couldn't believe it.

She slowly got up and touched my face as if she didn't believe I was real. Then she started crying again as we embraced each other.

***************************
Maeve's parents left her after she was born. No one ever knew why. She was taken from foster care to foster care as she tried to run away every time. To every foster family, be it angry, mean, abusive, controlling to kind, sweet and loving, she had been a problem. She was either too skinny, or too white, or too short, or her hair was too long etc. She tried running every time but got caught. Until she finally found someone she liked and who liked her for who she was. Martha and William took care of Maeve as her own and Maeve had been living with them for almost 3 years. They were pretty rich and were very nice people. They were strict too. They made sure not to spoil Maeve too much and made sure she was properly raised. They didn't mind being called by their names and were like best friends to Maeve. They weren't that young but that didn't stop them from being close to Maeve.

In her first orphanage, before she got taken to any care, she had made a few friends. She and a few girls got taken to their first foster family and officially became foster sisters. They all picked on Maeve except for two who were nice to her. After all she was the youngest. Out of the two one was a complete princess. Always doing as she was told, never lying etc. While the other was a complete opposite. Their foster parents were very strict and controlling.

One night when everyone was asleep, the girl and Maeve snuck out of the house with all their belongings and ran away from home. They stayed on the run for 6 months when they got caught and got separated. They had gotten awfully close. Maeve had never cried as much as she did when she got separated from her that day. They haven't seen each other since.

Until, today when she saw her tossed in the room.

Tulsa, the foster sister who ran off with her and kept her company for 6 months. Finally reunited.

But in the worst way possible.