Chapter 4

I wake up and do my usual routine and Betty drives me to school. The only reason I wanna be there is to see Jo.

I make my way to home room and stand there looking at her for a few seconds. She has a pencil in between her teeth with one of her earphones in and she's doing her math work I think.

"Yo, Hero!" Jake says and he walks up to me.

Jo's head snaps up and she smiles and waves at me as if she didn't collapse on my bedroom floor only a few days ago.

"Hey.." I say as Jake pats my shoulder.

"I actually can't talk right now, I gotta deal with something." I walk past him and towards Jo.

"Hi." I say and sit down next to her.

"Hi." She replies. "Wanna listen?" She holds out her other earbud.

"Sure." I say and put it in my ear. I almost instantly recognise the song, 'Never let me go' by Florence and the Machine. I always got called a wuss or a pussy because of the type of music I listen to, but I'm glad that Jo has the same taste as me.

The moment I look at her she's already looking at me. Mouthing the words as they go along, 'and the arms of the ocean deliver me... never let me go, never let me go, never let me go, never let me go.'

"I won't." I whisper so only she can hear me, she blushes and looks down but I saw her smile. I forget where we are for a second as the bell rings dismissing us.

The day goes by quickly but I still get annoyed from all the girls I have to sit with in Science. They always flirt with me but Jo doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Does she even care?

As I ride in Betty's car to get home, I think about it. I don't deserve her. She's such a pure and innocent soul and I don't want to imagine a darkness taking over her and ruining her. But I can't stop myself from imagining it, and the worst part of it all, is that I know I will be the one to break her.

The week goes by quickly and suddenly it's Friday and we have the next  week of school off for half term. I wake up and practically jump out of bed. I get dressed quickly and brush my teeth.

I quietly run down the stairs and walk it the nearest flower shop. When I arrive they only just opened, I walk in and buy 2 blue roses, blue roses represent something impossible to accomplish, something that will remain a dream and never be realised. Although I don't know what there is to be realized.

When I bring them to the cashier they ask if I'd like to add a note with it for an extra $3.

"Sure.." I mutter.

"And what would you like the note to say?" She asks me politely.

She has to know the note was from me, but it has to be special to show her I care.

"Sir?" She says.

"Sorry.." I laugh awkwardly, "just put from your knight in shining armour."

She looks at me with a curious smile.

"Don't ask." I smile back.

"Here ya go! Have a good day sir." She hands me the two blue roses and I attach the note to them and run back home.

When I walk in the front door I see Betty standing there with her arms crossed.

"And where have you been?" She asks sternly with her eyebrow raised.

"I got flowers for Jo." I admit, embarrassed.

"You could've at least told me instead of rushing out the bloody door at 7 in the morning!" She explains to me.