Chapter 5

It's been a week since Jo told me to leave. She won't reply to my messages or anything. She's ignoring me. I understand that I crossed a line but we were friends. Right?

I keep reminding myself to think of this from her perspective. What she thinks of all of this. How she feels.

But to be fair, I didn't actually fucking do anything. I was nice to her, I was nice around her. But what if it was all an act? I keep telling myself that it wasn't. She had affected me. She devoured my every thought and made my life a living hell.

I barely fucking know her! I've known her two weeks. She's beautiful though. How could I not have a crush on her? How does she not have a boyfriend? Does she even date?

Fuck.

I listen to music trying to drown her out but it doesn't work. It never does.

I walk downstairs and talk to Betty about it.

"You shouldn't have been nosy Hero. You could possibly be hanging out right now if you hadn't of done that. I mean I don't blame you for skipping school, I would of done the same thing, but she told you she would tell you and you betrayed her." She tells me softly but it doesn't soften the harsh truth.

"I know. I know I fucked up. She's my only friend here and to be totally honest I'm fine with that. She means the world to me and she.. she's special." I run my fingers through my hair and sigh as I shift again on the couch.

"You're good for her Hero. I thought you might cheer her up, and you did. You do. In fact I think you're the only person who can anymore." She moves closer to me and rests her head on my shoulder.

"I should've just stayed under her bed." I whine.

"Well, have you even tried to get her back?" She asks me.

"What do you mean?"

"Like some big gesture to show her that you're sorry. Kind of like the roses, but more extravagant." She explains.

"Nope. There's no point trying." I sigh.

"One thing she's always wanted to do is go to a dance." She says, "She would've gone to the school ones but nobody ever asked her to go."

"Are you saying I set up a while fucking dance just for her?" I ask.

"Not a whole dance. Just put LED lights in your room or something and play music on speakers and slow dance with her. Go over to her house in fancy dress with a corsage and treat her the way you should. Heck if I have to I'll invite her over for a "doctor-patient chat" and ask her to wear a dress or something."

"You both deserve happiness Beto. So why not be each other's?" She continues further.

"That.. is actually a really good idea Betty." Since she could be my only chance at getting her back I hug her.

"Thank you." I whisper and she hugs me tighter as a your welcome.

"I'll set the "meeting" for tomorrow around 7pm so you can get the LED lights from the attic now, it's with all the Christmas stuff." She shoo's me away as she calls Jo's mom to tell her what's happening and surprisingly, she's fine with it.

A huge grin appears across my face as I hear Betty tell me the good news. I run up the stairs and eventually find the stairs to the attic in this large house.

I find different coloured ones and bring them all with me and I finally make the decision to use the white ones.

It takes me about a full hour to set them up and make sure they stick the top corners of my room. When I'm done, I'm exhausted and it's past midnight. I lie down and fall asleep instantly.