4

"Let down my guard and tell
The people how I feel a second?."

THE GROUND IN FRONT OF THEM fell away steeply in a minecrater

THE GROUND IN FRONT OF THEM fell away steeply in a minecrater. It looked stories deep.The trio peered down into it.

"There's a gap in the wire." Blake pointed.

The nearest line of Germanwire had been split by the blast that created the crater. One part of it hung limply down theside wall of the crater and the other half disappeared intoa huge pool of dirty water at its base.

They all exchanged looks. They knew they had to go down into the crater in order to keep moving.They slid carefully down the steep bank. Genevieve felt mud get under her fingernails and grimaced at the feeling.

After getting closer to the water, she saw just how disgusting the water really was. It was the color of mucus, and the same consistency. A bloated dead german floated in it. The emotionless eyes stared at Genevieve. Besides all the bodies, the water was full of garbage. The pages of a letter, a cigarette tin, a water canteen. Genevieve tried not to look at it all as she followed in Schofield's exact footsteps.

They come to the other side of the crater and look up at the slope. It seemed higher than the other side had been. But Schofield wasted no time in climbing it. If Genevieve hadn't been so busy thinking about their next move, she might have been impressed. He turned and held out a hand to her, thankfully his uninjured one. But She didn't need it. Genevieve hoisted herself up easily, landing on a bended knee next to him.

"Sco..." Blake on the other hand, was struggling to get over.

Schofield reached down and helped him up the slope. Genevieve looks straight ahead and narrows her eyes. The boys look at her in confusion and she points. Ahead of them was the German Front Line.

"There!" Blake exclaims. "That's the front line."

They all lifted their rifles and aimed them towards the German line. Slowly, they approached the trench. They all look at each other for a beat. Genevieve nods and both men suck in a breath before they all stand tall, leaning over the German sandbags.

Empty.

"Fuck me." Blake laughed. "They really have gone."

The trench was massive and seemingly abandoned. They dropped down into the trench. They are alone. Schofield crouches, looking to his bleeding hand. Blood oozed out of it.

Genevieve knelt down next to him and took his hand. He flinched and pulled away.

"Let me..." She said. He nodded.

She took his hand again, softer this time. She took her canteen and poured some water over the wound. He hissed and she whispered several sorrys. She pulled a bright blue handkerchief from her bag and wiped away the dirt and drying blood. She got a bandage and wrapped it around his hand.