17

"Just go with it and don't ask why
I guess we're doing this."

SILENCE FELL OVER THE ROOM

SILENCE FELL OVER THE ROOM. All eyes were suddenly on Genevieve. Mackenzie looked from Genevieve to Schofield.

"The German's planned this, Sir." Schofield said hesitently. "They've been planning it for months. They want you to attack. Read the letter."

Finally, Mackenzie nods.

"Get the letter."

One of the men takes the letter from Schofield, handing it to Colonel MacKenzie.MacKenzie opens it. Reads. His face utterly impassive. Inscrutable. The silence is almost unbearable.

"Major." Mackenzie sighs. "Stand them down."

"Yes, Sir." One of the men nods and runs from the dugout. A blast of whistles from the outside, a signal to stop.

Genevieve breathed a sigh of relief. They did it. They really did it. She looked over at Schofield who looked just as relieved as she was. He gave her a small smile that she returned.

"Call up the orderlies." Mackenzie said to the rest of them. "Tend the wounded. Hold the line in case they counter."

"Yes, Sir." The Officers emptied out of the dugout. Noises of orders being shouted and whistles being blown seeped in from outside. Mackenzie turned back to Genevieve and Schofield.

"I hoped today might be a good day." He said. "Hope is a dangerous thing. That's it for now. Then next week, Command will send a different message. Attack at dawn. There is only one way this war ends. Last man standing."

He looks at Genevieve.

"I assume you'll be looking for agent Wilson?' He asked her.

"Yes sir," She was confused. How did he know who he was? "Any idea where he is?"

"If he's not dead," Mackenzie gave a little shrug. "He should be near the medical tents."

"Thank you sir." Genevieve nodded.

"Have someone see to your wounds, the both of you." Mackenzie waved them away. "Now fuck off, Lance Corporal, Agent."

Genevieve and Schofield turned and left the main dugout. One of the officers was standing just outside the door. He grabbed Schofield's arm as they passed.

"Well done," he told them. "The both of you."

"Thank you, Sir." Genevieve smiled at him, happy to get some recognition.

"Do you know where Lieutenant Blake is, Sir?" Schofield asked him.

Genevieve's smile faltered. She had almost forgotten about that. Her hand flew to her pocket and she reached inside. She felt the flower petals. They were slightly damp, but they were there. She made a mental note to press them in order to preserve them.