9

"Pay attention for these inventions
might mean your salvation."

"YOU ALRIGHT MATES?"

Schofield and Genevieve looked up to see two soldiers standing there. Genevieve jumped at the sight of them.

"It's alright," One of them said, lowering his gun. "it's okay."

"Jesus," the other one looked down at Blake. "What happened to him?"

"Was it the plane?" One asked. "We saw the smoke."

"Yes." Schofield nodded.

Genevieve looked at the body of the dead german a few feet away then back as Schofield. He caught her eyes and shook his head. She stayed silent.

Another man had approached them. Genevieve looked at his uniform. A captain. He looked down at them, a look of sympathy on his face.

"Go fetch their things." The captain told the two soldiers.

They nodded and went to get the helmets and guns that they had left to this side. Genevieve watched them closely, to make sure they didn't look at her gun too closely.

"A friend?" The captain asked them.

"Yes sir." Genevieve glanced up at him. He seemed taken aback by her, not realizing she was a woman.

"What are you doing here?" He asked them.

"I have an urgent message for the2nd Devons." Schofield mumbled. "Orders to stop tomorrowmorning's attack. And she..."

Schofield caught himself and looked back at her. He was silent for a moment before turning his head back up to the Captain.

"She's a nurse." He said.

"Where are the Devons stationed?" Asked the captain.

"Just beyond Ecoust." Schofield replied.

"Come with me." The captain turned and started to head back towards the farmhouse.

Genevieve stood but Schofield didn'tmove. He didn't look away from Blake.

"Sweetie, we have to go." She put a hand on his shoulder. "It's alright."

Schofield cleared his throat and stood. They followed after the captain. The two soldiers gave them their helmets and guns.

"We're passing through Ecoust." He said. "We can take you some of the way."

There were a line of cars in the road. They were full of soldiers. A few of them were in front of the first car, attempting to move a fallen tree.

"Might be a tight squeeze." The captain said to them as they moved towards the Officer's car in the front.