19

"History obliterates
In every picture it paints."

GENEVIEVE AND SCHOFIELD MADE THEIR LAST MOMENTS TOGETHER COUNT

GENEVIEVE AND SCHOFIELD MADE THEIR LAST MOMENTS TOGETHER COUNT. They didn't leave each other's side the entire day or night. Those last few hours were full of laughter, kisses, touching, loving. Neither wanted it to end.

But it did.

It had to.

Genevieve woke up just before sunrise. Wilson, ever the gentleman, had given her his tent for the night.

"You need it more than I do." He had winked at her during dinner. "Can't have you two going in the barracks now can we? Some people actually want to get some sleep."

It wasn't much, just a flimsy blanket and sleeping bag on the ground. But Genevieve didn't mind. Schofield certainly didn't.

She woke up engulfed in his arms. The pair were a tangle of bare limbs under the blanket. He snored softly in her ear and she smiled sadly.

She had to go.

Genevieve slowly slid out from his grasp. He reached out for her in his sleep. She contemplated waking him up.

Genevieve hated goodbyes. She absolutely despised them. 

She let him sleep as she got dressed. Her clothes were dry now but still had dry dirt and blood on them. But she didn't care. She laced up her boots when she heard movement behind her.

"Genevieve?"

Schofield was awake, propped up on one elbow. His hair was sticking up and his eyes were half lidded with sleep.

"I have to go." She finished lacing her boots.

"Please don't." He sat up reached for her. 

She kneeled on the ground in front of him and took his hand, kissing his knuckles.

"Trust me," She sighed. "I would stay if I could."

"Promise you'll write." Schofield said. His eyes were filled with adoration as he tucked her hair behind her ear.

"All the time." She said before groaning. "God I hate goodbyes. I hate saying it."

"Then don't." He replied. "Say... say hello."

"...Hello William." A tear dripped down her cheek. He smiled at her.

"Hello Genevieve."

He leaned forward and kissed her sweetly, pulling her into his bare chest. They both knew this might as well be their last kiss. Neither of them wanted it to end.

As always, Genevieve was the first to pull away.

The sun was coming up. She had to go.

She stood and adjusted herself.

"How do I look?" She asked jokingly.

"Gorgeous." He replied. "Blood stains and all."

They stared at each other for a moment.

"I'll never forget you y'know." She said softly.

"We'll see each other again." He shook his head. "I know it. Besides, you technically owe me a sankee game."

"Yankee game." She corrected. "And I thought I promised Blake that."

"But you said I could come along." He grinned at the memory. "If I go wild in the crowd."

"Will you?" She asked.

"For you, I will." He replied.

They both grinned at each other as footsteps approached the tent.

"Patterson!" Wilson tapped on the outside of the tent. "You decent? We gotta get a move on!"

"I'm coming Danny." She called back. She looked back at Schofield. "Well... hello."

"Hello, darling."

Genevieve took a deep breath and left the tent without looking back. Wilson was standing outside it with a look of sympathy.

"You ready?" He asked.

"As I'll ever be." Genevieve nodded and started marching forward, not daring to look at the tent. "Let's go before I commit treason against the states."

"Alright!" Wilson jogged to catch up with her. "The dream team takes on Italy! Woo!"

Genevieve wiped her eyes and smiled back at her best friend.

"If this is anything like my last mission I swear to god I'm gonna retire."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

DON'T WORRY IT STILL ISN'T OVER I PROMISE