Kurokenhina Angst & Fluff - Late

Originally this was intended to fulfil the request by DahFloofistSmol who is fabulous. But it became too angsty to fit her specifications so it is its own thing.

"Do you think he'll be alright?" Asked Kenma nervously, he glanced at his watch, they'd be three hours late - an all time worst.
Kuroo sighed, "Kenma we've been late before, there's nothing we can do about unpredictable office hours, he's used to it by now..."
"I should have texted."
"He'll know."
Though he sounded confident, Kenma could see the tenseness in Kuroo's shoulders. He returned his attention to his phone, knowing continuing the stressful conversation wouldn't make the train go any faster.

They almost ran home in spite of themselves, the guilt gradually building, a gut feeling. The house was lit, but there was no redhead leaping on them as they came through the door. The hallway was empty, so was the living room and the study.

"Kuroo..." Kenma's voice came from the kitchen. It was hoarse and strained, and the taller man knew immediately that he wouldn't like what he'd see.
Hinata was sleeping on a chair, head resting on his arms. There were two filled wine glasses and one empty on the table, along with a two tier cake. He'd taken out the Christmas tinsel and stuck it up on the cabinets and around the picture of the three of them in the Tokyo sky tower.

On the cake and the bunting hanging from the ceiling were the words:

Happy five year anniversary!!!

Kuroo felt ill.
They'd forgotten.
Not only had they forgotten, they'd arrived back three hours late... and hadn't even texted.

"Kenma... what do we do." His voice quavered.
"Wake him up and get what's coming to us." Replied Kenma sadly. Surely not even Hinata could handle this much. No one deserved this. Let alone Hinata Shouyou.
Seeing as Kuroo was rooted to the spot, Kenma gently moved forwards and rubbed Hinata's shoulder softly.
The redhead shifted slightly, his nose scrunching cutely as he yawned, impressing upon the pair even more just what they were about to lose.

The golden eyes blinked at them slowly, first in confusion and then in shock. "I fell asleep!" He yelled, "I'm so sorry! It was meant to be a surprise..." he raced over to them and hugged them both. "Happy anniversary!"
He beamed widely, but at the sight of it, their stomachs twisted. Unlike the Karasuno crows, they had known since the beginning when Hinata's smiles were fake.
"Shouyou..." said Kenma softly.
Hinata winced, but recovered swiftly. "Don't, please. Cake?"
He looked at them, still smiling, but they knew what please meant. He was that close to breaking point that an apology would push him over. Hinata despised conflict, even the shouting matches with Kageyama distressed him. He would take any injury to his pride or body, to avoid arguments.

Usually when he used it, they'd feel guilty but play along, and eventually over the week, acting would return to reality, and they'd mumble short apologies at some point and he'd shrug it off with a genuine laugh. But this time they'd crossed a line it was wrong of him to overlook.

"Sorry Shouyou, but we don't deserve that cake." Began Kuroo.
Shouyou's shoulder slumped slightly, his face hidden from them as he leant over the kitchen table. "Your work is important..." he said softly. "You can't control over times... I know that. It's okay."
"That isn't okay." Sighed Kenma. "But regardless, we shouldn't have even gone today. The point is that we forgot the anniversary of the day, you, the best thing in both of our lives, officially entered them. Please Shouyou, shout at us, anything, we can't let you take the hurt and hide it away again."
"Please Shouyou..." murmured Kuroo, aching to put his arms around the redhead's trembling frame.

Hinata spun to look at them, as tears pooled and flowed freely down his cheeks. "I stared at the empty screen of my phone for half an hour..." he managed, "then I spent another hour imagining that maybe you'd set up a wonderful surprise for me or something... I hate being an optimist."
The pair winced.

"I'd drank two glasses of wine, and started wondering if there'd been a terrible accident or something, and spent twenty more minutes staring at my blank phone waiting for a hospital to call to tell me the loves of my life had been killed in an accident... then I fell asleep and dreamt about it."
Kenma and Kuroo closed their eyes, waiting for the end.
Instead, the found themselves pulled into a hug.
"Please... never do that to me again... I never ever want my first thought when you come back late to be 'thank god they're alive'."

Kenma and Kuroo stared in bewilderment at the man in the arms.
"You... aren't dumping us?"
Shouyou pulled back, his gaze suddenly stern despite his red rimmed eyes. "You aren't getting any cake. And you have me for life. How's that for punishment? You'll also have to take me to a very expensive restaurant tomorrow and treat me like the goddamn angel I am."

At that, Kenma promptly burst into tears, for the first time since their relationship began, wrapping his arms tightly around the 'goddamn angel'. It was enough to turn Kuroo into a sobbing mess too.
So there they were, on their fifth anniversary, sobbing into each other's shoulders.

Eventually, Hinata cleared his throat. "For the people who were in the wrong, you guys sure are doing a lot of the crying."
Kuroo raised his head and attempted to give his usual scowl, the look somewhat marred by his still streaming eyes. "You aren't the one dating an angel."
Hinata snorted and was about to reply, when Kenma raised his head and quickly claimed his lips.

Knowing from experience that the duo would be a while, Kuroo got up and tidied the kitchen, putting away the wine - they were crying enough without it, and was just starting to eye the cake sadly and return to his moping guilt when Hinata grabbed his hand and yanked him back to the floor.
"Don't you dare start feeling guilty again." He demanded, kissing the ravenette furiously to get rid of the sadness in those eyes. Satisfied, he pulled away. "Now, you two pick out a movie that we can play while you watch me eat that entire cake!"
They smiled in relief and wondered what they had done to be this lucky.