Part 11

"-hurt one of my best customers, then you have to go through me first! Really? That's how you refer to me?"

Wild shrugged. "It was the spur of the moment, so sue me. It wasn't as if I was lying. You and the other Heroes leave the biggest tips."

They were in the coffee shop, one hour after it closed. The chairs were stacked on top of the tables, the food areas were wiped clean, and the smell of disinfectant tickled Twilight's nose. Twilight sat at the counter, the first aid kit opened in front of him as he cleaned his wounds. The bleeding had long stopped at this point. He used a clean clothe to dab away the blood and then closed the wounds with butterfly strips.

Wild was grabbing something out of the fridge from behind the counter. He stepped back, two sodas in hand, kicked the fridge door closed and set one of the cans in front of Twilight.

"Thanks," said Twilight. "I'll have it once I'm done cleaning."

"Wow, I expected the wound to be deeper," said Wild, watching him.

"Heroes heal fast," Twilight explained. "I should be fine by tomorrow morning, but I still need to watch out for infection till then."

Wild popped the tab on his can. He took a sip. "So... what was that stuff back there? I come out of class, thinking about homework only to come upon a Hero needing help. Who attacked you, if you don't me asking."

"An unsatisfied customer. He... Charles had the potential to be a Hero but when he was rejected, I guess he took it harder than expected. Once I'm done here, I need to speak to the authorities. He's lucky the worse he'll get is prison. If you hadn't come along, it would have turned out worse for him."

Wild gave an uneasy grin. "What, are you saying you were planning to kill him?"

"Yes."

The bluntness of the answer had Wild's eyes widening in alarm. A slight twinge of redness appeared on his cheeks. "Oh... I... wow. I mean... I didn't know Heroes were allowed to do such things."

Twilight began cleaning off the blood from his face. He had to use the shiny metal napkin dispenser as a mirror. The cut had gone across one of his tattoos, and though the wound be gone in a couple of hours, he hated that this tiny wound will leave a line.

"It's not like we're incapable of it," said Twilight, dragging the clothe down his cheek. "But we will if we have to. Monsters and humans."

"Wow," Wild said again. "And you won't get in trouble for that?"

"It's not a guarantee I'll walk away without consequences, but the royal family stands by the Heroes quite fiercely. It is likely I would be pardoned before the sun rose the next day."

"That's intense."

Twilight hummed in agreement. He finished cleaning and tossed the last of his supplies into a nearby trashcan. He clean his hands, then grabbed the soda can. "Cheers," he said.

"Cheers," Wild agreed, tapping his own can with Twilight's.

Usually Twilight didn't care for soda. Majority of the drinks were too sweet, leaving a bad aftertaste in his mouth. This time the cool, fizziness was a welcoming sensation. He took a long, deep drink, sighing when he came back up for air. He pressed the can against his forehead. "Thanks, I needed this."

"I'd offer a coffee, but everything's been cleaned and turned off." Wild gestured around him. "But if you really want one, I can whip something up."

"That's alright. But, um... can I ask a personal question instead?"

Wild gave a long suffering sigh. "You want to ask about my scars."