Part 35

"So you're not actually grounded," Wild said.

Twilight threw an arm over his eyes, groaning in embarrassment. "What he actually means is no missions. And if I do take one on, I have to stand on the sidelines, sitting there with my hands in my pocket. I know this, yet I reacted the same was I would've when I fourteen."

"I don't blame you. Your dad is... pretty intimidating."

The two were alone in their hospital room. Sky had gone back to his hotel room to finally sleep. Flora went with Dusk to gather some clothes from Wild's apartment and to disperse any lingering paparazzi. Time and Lullaby left to speak with the others to reevaluate their verdict on Charles.

"How was your talk with him?" Twilight asked. "Did you learn everything you need to know?"

"More and then some." Wild flopped back down upon his bed. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue rupee, slapping it down upon the table next to him. "Your dad stole this for me."

Twilight pulled down his arm to see. "Stole it from whom?"

"The fountain outside."

"And he only stole one? The old man is usually not so reserved."

"Are... are you joking?"

Twilight huffed. "I wish I was."

They lulled into gentle silence. As the seconds passed, Wild felt his eyes droop and his body relaxed deeper into the hospital bed. He couldn't sleep just yet. He had something to say.

"Hey... I wanna thank you."

Twilight made a questioning noise. "Hmmm?"

"For finding me. I know it was just coincidence you happened upon my coffee shop, but... the thought of going through the rest of my life never knowing what happened would've haunted me. You have no idea how grateful I am. So, thank you."

"You don't need to. After all, I did kidnap you."

Wild snorted. "That you did. Which resulted me in getting kidnapped again."

"Hey, I told you to run."

"And I told you I had homework!"

Both of them burst out laughing, only stopping when Twilight suddenly hissed, clutching his midsection. "Oh... my ribs aren't ready for that."

"Then you should rest." Wild sighed softly. "We should both rest."

"That's a great idea."

With warm sunlight streaming in from a nearby window, the two Heroes drifted off to sleep. And for the first time in a long time, Wild was not afraid.

***

Though the travelers of Dragon Roost Airport were busy with their own lives trying to get in line for coffee, searching out their next connective flight, or simply trying to find a quiet place to take a nap, it didn't take long for someone to notice a group of Heroes waiting by a particular gate. At first there was a growing worry, believing they were here for a dangerous reason. Lullaby had to release calming magic to ensure nobody started panicking.

"Are you manipulating their emotions?" Flora had asked, watching as one woman instantly calmed and walked away as if nothing happened.

"No," said Lullaby. Two fingers were up to her temple, her eyes closed in concentration. "If the feeling is strong enough, no amount of magic will stop it. I am simply telling them nothing is wrong. If they choose to believe that is up to them, but I can very convincing."

"Very interesting!" Flora said. She turned to Dusk, who was standing in the same position. "Are you helping keep calm?"

"Lullaby can handle that by herself," said Dusk. "I am distorting people's cellphones. This is a very special time for Wild and I don't want it ruined by someone taking video and posting it online."

She gestured to the small crowd that was not at all influenced by Lullaby's magic. They pulled out their phones and other devices, holding them up to take video, only to grumble and moan when they realized nothing was happening.

"Mine still works!" Sun said gleefully. She held up her phone, her recording already going past ten minutes. "I want to capture everything!"

Twilight's left arm was in a sling. Personally he thought he was healed enough not to need it, but every time he tried to subtly remove it, Dusk would give him a withering glare. On his third failed attempt, his fellow Heroes laughed at him.

Wild stood near the gate, holding a bouquet of Silent Princesses. His eyes were glued on the windows, watching as the airplane taxied in.

"So we talked to Charles more," said Time. "We've decided he and the other Yiga will go to trial. It seems he wasn't the only youth manipulated into joining their ranks. Though I cannot guarantee what will happen after that."

"I think that's the best I can ask for," said Twilight. "Do you have a trial date?"

"At this point, no. It might be a while. Our priorities right now is to train our two new Heroes. Flora needs to be trained too, but her father is fighting us, and we still haven't discovered Wind's pirate princess yet."

"Wild wants to finish college," said Twilight. "Is that possible?"

Time hummed and crossed his arms. "Unknown. Lullaby has been getting disturbing visions lately, and we may need all hands on deck. We'll certainly try. Kids deserve normalcy."

Sun called out to them. "Hush! Here they come!"

The doors to the gate opened and several weary travelers shuffled into the airport. Many didn't even notice the Heroes and walked passed them, barely giving them a glance. The ones who did notice only gave them a quick wave before trotting off to their next destination.

A man and a young girl suddenly appeared at the gate doors.

The man's name was Axel. Flora had told the Heroes Axel used to be part of the royal guard before a knee injury forced him into early retirement. Though he was limping as he exited the gate, Axel still gave off the aura of a seasoned warrior. His arms alone was like that of tightly wound steel. He carried two pieces of luggage, one obviously his in standard black and grey colors, and the other belonging to his daughter, colored in pinks and greens.

Standing next to Axel at barely half his height was Lucy. Despite her very youthful luggage, Lucy was a young woman in her teens, wearing blue glasses and sporting a short pixie haircut. She pushed up her glasses as she scanned the airport.

At first she didn't notice Wild, her eyes passing over him. How different he must look to them, with a three years age difference, longer hair, and his heavily scarred face. Lucy saw Flora first, and her face lit up in familiarity.

Wild took two small shy steps forward.

The motion caught Lucy's eye and she did a double-take. She froze. "Brother...?" She asked.

"I think so," said Wild.

Everyone jumped when Axel suddenly dropped the bags and they struck the floor with a loud THUMP. His manly face crumpled as blubbery tears cascaded down his cheeks.

"My boy!"

And that's all it took. Wild tossed aside the Silent Princess bouquet and dropped to his knees. He barely got a chance to hold out his arms when Lucy suddenly threw herself at him, hugging him all her might. Axel nearly tripped over himself in his effort to rush over. He flopped down and pulled both of his children into his big arms.

The observing Heroes and Princesses all shared a smile. Sun continued recording, biting her lip hard as she struggled to keep her phone steady while sobbing.

"Welcome home, kid," said Twilight.

The End